• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vets

after a bun has been spayed do they go back in for a checkup as my vets just do the spay and then basically dont tell us to come back for checkups on the stitches

yes usually vets ask you to come back for a checkup 5-7 days later i think to check everything is healing ok. were you given pain relief to take home?

ETA just seen your other post that she hasn't been done yet!

i asked whether they want me to take her back when she has been done but they way she looked at me it was like a no. Do they want boy buns to be taken back after there neuter

i took my boy back for a checkup yes, i think its common practice for a nurse to check everything is healing/stitches are dissolving and also to check whether you have any questions or problems.

i didnt go back fo checks ups of get any pain relief after my boys neuter
they did it and let hin leave after the anesethitic wore off

My Vets for Pets asked for a check up after Benji's neutering. But it could be because he was naughty and pulled the glue off his stitches.

It is definitely usual to go back for a check up after neutering. If the vets don't give pain relief I would find a different vet, to be honest. Good luck! :wave:

If your vet does not offer a post op check and doesn't send you home with pain relief as standard then I would try and find a new vet!

If your vet does not offer a post op check and doesn't send you home with pain relief as standard then I would try and find a new vet!

This, for my boys we were sent home with 5 days pain relief and they were back for post op checks after 3 and 7 days. Though my lad damaged himself after his op so needed a bit more tlc and I think they knew I was worried and had Loki in for check ups along with Thor. I think after 5-7 days is normal.

My Vets check both boys and girls 2 days after the op and then with us it is stitches out of the girls 10 days post op. If you didn't have them checked they could get an infection and unless you know what to look for the rabbit would suffer.

Mine were done yesterday, and have to go back tomorrow for a check, we weren't given extra pain relief but were told that they had been given some to last 72 hours, and they will assess whether they need more tomorrow.....they appear to be pain free, eating pooping and drinking well, and luckily leaving their wounds well alone. Playing as normal and not holding any grudges towards me taking them...I've probably jinxed that now.................

My boy got pain relief and a check up a week later. The vets were so good and gave me an aftercare sheet too

My vet always sends my buns out with aftercare sheets, pain relief, although I've never actually needed it, because they had long-lasting shots before coming home. I've always been asked to return on day 5, and obviously phone if I'm concerned about anything. My vet has partners in as well if they are bonded, and the girls go in with a new-born t-shirt, because apparently they are more likely to investigate what has been done and start messing with their tums and stitches, and he says it is better to have a t-shirt on as a prevention, rather than have to 'cure' any damage done. This is sleepy Pippa after her spay. No problems at all with her by the way and remained very comfortable.

Apparently the girls don't tend to start eating again as quickly, but he gives them something to keep their gut moving, and Pip was starving the next morning for her herby leaves :D

Last edited:
Back