• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleo has EC

*Bex*

Mama Doe
It started on Monday.

She was fine during the day but at night she was found with head tilt and she was wobbly on her legs. Took her straight to the vet who prescribed lapizole.

Her tilt became much worse during the day yesterday and she developed nystagmus. After speaking to the vet she decided the best course of action was 3 steroid injections given 48 hours apart along with the lapizole and also with baytril for antibiotic cover. She is also receiving syringe feeds to make sure she is eating. She is generally a very timid bun and very rarely does she eat when anyone is there. She is taking the feeds brilliantly.

She received her first steroid injection yesterday. Today her tilt has much improved, to the point of barely being noticeable at times, the nystagmus is gone and she is moving around much more, and although a bit wobbly she is much more stable on her feet. She has also been seen eating a few bits of veg by herself. She also is managing to wash. She is much more feistier and less willing to be picked up which is much more like herself as she is not a big fan of much human fuss.

Vet is encouraged by this but it is still very early days and a little too early to get excited over her recovering.
Polo is also on a 28 day course of lapizole just to be safe, so far he is fine.

Just looking to see if anyone has any advice that may help us :)

Hi so sorry to hear about Cleo. A week last Monday I found Tallulah (one of my 3) in a very simular situation. I rushed her to the vets and like you she was started on lapizole. For a week she was given baytri as with cleol and emeprid to combat nausea and keep her appetite up. Within a few days the nystagmus and head tilt had gone and her appetite was good. She finished her meds saturday and is still going strong. If I didn't know different I wouldn't be aware she had been ill at all. She is still on the 28 day course of lapizole as are the other 2 as a precaution. I am changing litter trays twice a day, bleaching them daily and using the green spray in between.
I hope cleo continues to improve. It scared the life out of me and it is very worrying. Lots if hugs and healing vibes to you all. X

Thank you for the vibes!

Elis mum, that gives me hope, their situations sound so similar. I'm glad tallulah is doing well. We are back at the vets tomorrow for her next steroid injection.

I will watch your videos tomorrow when I can get on the computer.

I will never give up on her. She seems to be doing a lot better in only a couple of days of being on the treatment, so fingers crossed :)

Truffle had EC last year - it's so stressful. I can't think of anything extra to what the vet has already done, but if she's already made such a quick improvement that's a good sign.

Did the vet tell you about bleaching her hutch on days 21 and 28 to get rid of the EC spores?

Sending more vibes for her.

Hello

Sorry to hear about Cleo and sending you lots of healing vibes for her xx I hope she continues to improve and we have fingers and paws crossed for her here xx

My youngest bun at head tilt at 4 weeks old. He was given lapizole and baytril continuously for about 2 months twice a day. When I brought him home at 9 weeks he was still on the meds and his head had started to straighten but his ears were on one side (he is a lop). He is now 10 months old and his head is straight, his ears are on either side of his head and he has a very slightly lopsided face.

I didn't think he would recover as he had this as such a young age.

This is him now

a60da42acd6d15e709b0ce58826a27fc_zps8d0af678.jpg

Hey, she is doing good! Had her second steroid jab last night and has her last one tomorrow lunch time. Vet was happy with the progress so far. Although she was very stressed being at the vet, I showed him pictures and videos I'd taken and he said her improvement was brilliant.
She's eaten by herself and has been a loads more perkier.

Thanks for asking after her and thanks for the vibes! Will add some photos when I'm on the computer.

Back