• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-sale hutches

Kiania

Young Bun
Bit of an unusual problem (perhaps?), but the back story is that we board bunnies, and we're due to move house (only down the road mind you, just need a bigger garden to expand!) in mid-June. Terrible timing with the summer rush, but what can you do!

Anyway, over the past two days I've suddenly had a flurry of bookings and am now booked sold (nearly) in August, with two more calls today for more bookings!

Once we move, first on my list of things to do is build a new bunny shed, but I have no guarantees on move date, and obviously don't want to promise on accommodation we don't have (yet).

Back up plan is hutches (luckily new house has a huge patio, so runs on paving for easy cleaning between guests is pre-done!), but I'm a little concerned as, of course, I'd want to sell them after the proper shed is completed.

I only want 6ft hutches, but am not concerned about insulation so much (as they are only for the summer), but am very worried about re-sale value.

So, my query is...do bunny owners buy 2nd hand hutches, and am I likely to get a better return on better quality hutches? Basing it on the idea that they are used one or two months, nobody dies in them (always a worry with 2nd hand wooden cages), everyone in them is vaccinated (VHD and Myxi jabs are a requirement here!), and I like lining the bases with lino tiles for easy cleaning (which we did on an emergency hutch-buy in the past).

If I think I can make 20% back (or maybe £20 off the only 6ft Pets at Home £110 hutch), then I'll crack on, but figured rabbit owners would know best what they'd spend on a 2nd hand hutch and if quality makes a difference for % spend!

Thanks for any comments in advance!

I think you would sell them. I might even be interested as I foster:D. I would pay more for a really good quality hutch (like a Ryedale for example), but would still buy a Happy Hutch quality hutch.

Why don't you look on eBay for 2nd hand hutches, then you will get an idea of what sort of prices people pay?

I had a 6x2 Happy Hutch with a 6ft run that I used for a year, and resold it easily for £40...reckon I could have got more if I'd held out as it was good quality and still looked mint when sold.

I did a quick ebay search a while back, but didn't see many 6ft hutches, and the ones there were were either absolutely filthy, or requiring serious work (rotting legs (and the worry of the floor needing redone), sides missing or needing replacing etc).

I shall have a looksie around. They probably won't be top quality - no point my spending £400 on a bunny that pays £100 (which has to include their bedding, hay, veg and cleaning products) if I only make £50 back, but I really do loathe the Pets at Home hutches (the solid middle in the front is a pain in the rump to clean around! I'm a lover of sheds with a passion!!).

My other thought was play houses, but I figured hutches would do better resale. Also have to get them through the house (no garden access from the front unfortunately), which might be a problem!

I gave up on hoping they'd all be house rabbits (we have a few rodent escape proof puppy pens that would be ideal!). Just feel bad as I've been getting calls saying everywhere is already booked up, and I'm quiet over the holidays so far for all but rabbits. I thought it'd be quiet and I could then build my brand spanking new shed in September rather than in a rush! When it rains, it pours :)

Back