• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warning people with metal runs

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
I was woken last night by one huge crashing noise. Got up to check my outside pair to find a run colasped. Scanned the garden then saw him. Mr fox had come to pay us a visit. By the time i got downstairs (i did run) he'd colapsed a second run.

Luckaly my bunnies do not have access to these runs overnight they are shut off in their run and hutch base. Don't know if the fox was trying to colaspe the runs in the hope of getting into their base or what he was doing. He has done little damage to their base run but its triple meshed so will just replace one layer of mesh. Plus new runs are being ordered as no way am i putting my buns in metal ones again.

The two runs that colasped are a appleby and one bought from ebay. These are two months old.

Both bunnys are fine and eat breakfast this morning.

I'm still shaking now at the thought i could have lost them. Thank god i took all the tips from people on here about fox proofing.

Their both ok and have no injuries. I was more worried about shock last night but after a word with my vet (bless him i woke him up) we decided they were fine. They calmed down very quickly and managed to get them to eat some fenugreek crunchies and carroties. They thought it was all their birthdays at once as they only have one treat a week normally :lol:.

So pleased your rabbits were okay. :(

In the interest of making everyone else's more secure, could you let us know how the runs set up, did they have lids, fastened down etc. Thanks

My base run is like this one but mine was made by a local man.

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/our-rabbit-runs/65

It was made double meshed but my Dh put another layer on (he pretends he doesn't care but know he does :love: ).
My lid opens at the two ends and middle is fixed. The ends and door are padlocked.
The run is fixed to the hutch with six brackets (two top, two bottom and two along the length).
The base is on concrete to prevent digging in or out.

The metal ones had the lids provided with them and where pinned in the ground. They connected to each other and the base by a runaround system. I only used them when i'm home but to busy to fully free range supervise them as i stupidly thought it would give me time to get out there if a fox did come after them to chase it away.

My base run is like this one but mine was made by a local man.

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/our-rabbit-runs/65

It was made double meshed but my Dh put another layer on (he pretends he doesn't care but know he does :love: ).
My lid opens at the two ends and middle is fixed. The ends and door are padlocked.
The run is fixed to the hutch with six brackets (two top, two bottom and two along the length).
The base is on concrete to prevent digging in or out.

The metal ones had the lids provided with them and where pinned in the ground. They connected to each other and the base by a runaround system. I only used them when i'm home but to busy to fully free range supervise them as i stupidly thought it would give me time to get out there if a fox did come after them to chase it away.

Thanks for this. Seems scary as your setup sounds so secure. I think i might need to review my metal run. It's currently pegged down on concentrate paving stones (the long tent pegs go through the small gaps), all the sides and lid are cable tied and padlocked to add more security. I've got corrugated plastic on the top and one side. And it's connected to the hutch via runaround kits. I might have to look into bolting it down onto the paving stones.

One option is to attach a wooden frame to help them keep the shape. The panels are thicker mesh than wire but they are more flexible at the joints between panels.

Thanks for this. Seems scary as your setup sounds so secure. I think i might need to review my metal run. It's currently pegged down on concentrate paving stones (the long tent pegs go through the small gaps), all the sides and lid are cable tied and padlocked to add more security. I've got corrugated plastic on the top and one side. And it's connected to the hutch via runaround kits. I might have to look into bolting it down onto the paving stones.

Ours is bolted to the patio with a big metal bracket and a massive bolt, fixed to the shed with metal brackets and the top is padlocked shut with a heay duty hasp and big padlock.

Glad your buns are OK OP!

This is a great thread - metal runs are not safe from predators at all means and I wish more people realised this. I hope that someone who sees this may upgrade to a safer accommodation - this thread could potentially save lives!

Mr fox came back last night for round two. Although my base run is secure i am now locking them in the hutch over night. I can't take the stress of the fact he could find a weakness and get them. The fox is jumping over my 6ft 5 wall with ease so please don't think they are safe because you have high walls.

The boys are not impressed as it is as they couldn't go out in the runs yesterday. But its for their own safety until i get the new ones. My indoor two are staying indoors until i can get the combined shed and avairy run set up done.

Back