• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass security

marchi1990

Mama Doe
Hi all,

What is advised to put down on grass to prevent a rabbit escaping his run or to prevent something getting in?

Wire?

i think if you put weld mesh down then turf over the top it will stop them digging out (and anything digging in) and also not hurt their paws :thumb:

i think if you put weld mesh down then turf over the top it will stop them digging out (and anything digging in) and also not hurt their paws :thumb:

Great! The vet has advised me that because of Woody's teeth (and refusal to eat hay) he has to spend more time on grass. I have bought a Runaround tube and also doors so that at night he will only be in his concrete run/shed.

My pair of girls can mow the grass in their run in less than a day,:shock: I move my run around each day, but have not meshed under the run. They've never dug yet but I shut them in at night until I can get a mesh skirt to stop digging in or out. It's a bit of a dilemma but they love the fresh grass every day!

My pair of girls can mow the grass in their run in less than a day,:shock: I move my run around each day, but have not meshed under the run. They've never dug yet but I shut them in at night until I can get a mesh skirt to stop digging in or out. It's a bit of a dilemma but they love the fresh grass every day!

Well Woody is a digger so I know he would be out of there in no time! I will also close off access to the grass run at night so he will just be in his shed/other run.

I guess I am lucky (so far ) that mine aren't diggers! I really wish I could come up with an idea that was completely secure but yet was moveable onto new grass easily...

I might (still considering) mesh wire the bottom of the run and then just buy turf to fill the run. It's a possibility.

How would a mesh skirt stop them from digging out (or preddies from digging in)? surely you need the whole of the bottom of the run meshed?

Don't forget to introduce grass slowly.

Some people grow big trays of grass, swapping them over to let them sprout up again.

How would a mesh skirt stop them from digging out (or preddies from digging in)? surely you need the whole of the bottom of the run meshed?

Well it wouldn't be absolutely impossible for them to dig out but it would mean they'd have to dig a much longer burrow to do it. And the same for predators, apparently they usually dig directly at the edge of the run so if there's a 2ft skirt it should stop them. I'm not sure that's the best way forwards but they absolutely love their grass, i move the run evey day and it seems to be the only way of doing it because I wouldn't want to mesh over the whole area of grass I'd be worried they'd hurt their legs.

Back