• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Insurance

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
I have a policy with petplan and I was just wondering, is it like normal house/car insurance where if you make a claim your policy goes up the next year??

No. In theory. Pet insurers aren't supposed to do that as it could put people off claiming and therefore maybe not seek veterinary input when needed.

I've certainly not seen a pattern of it with Pet Plan and I've made some pretty hefty claims! I claimed over £1200 for Elijah last year and his premium has just gone up a few pounds this year in line with his age and is a tad lower than the bunnies I have older than him so I don't think claiming made any difference.

Oh excellent, that's good news.

Thanks very much.

Have any of you ever had a claim refused??

I've never claimed before and the vet's are claiming directly from Petplan on my behalf which is great as all I do is pay the vet the excess and sign a form and they do all the work on my behalf and get paid direct. :thumb:

I haven't had experience with Petplan myself, but the rescue shelter I got my second rabbit from actually advised me not to go with petplan, as apparently they aren't great for rabbits.

Does anyone know any other good insurance providers? I want to get Benji insured.

I haven't had experience with Petplan myself, but the rescue shelter I got my second rabbit from actually advised me not to go with petplan, as apparently they aren't great for rabbits.

Does anyone know any other good insurance providers? I want to get Benji insured.

To be honest I don't think there are many other pet insurers that insure bunnies (or certainly there weren't when I first got my bunnies and was looking around). Pets@Home do I think.

I'm in Blackpool too :wave:

Just being nosey now ...... which rescue did you get your bunny from? And which vet do you use?

Really? I've claimed thousands from them over the years and never had a problem. From peoples experiences here I'd avoid p@h like the plague.

Really? I've claimed thousands from them over the years and never had a problem. From peoples experiences here I'd avoid p@h like the plague.

Ditto re Pet Plan. Well, I did have one hitch where they said they hadn't enough information and we went round in circles. Every other claim, about 15 - 20 now has gone smoothly. Not as quickly as they advertise but they've paid without messing about. I'd only had Erin, a 3 year old rabbit, a few weeks when I made my first claim and they paid out. I'd definitely recommend them.

I've had no bother with P@H either, 3 claims, 2 rabbits, though I wouldn't actually recommend them given accounts I've heard. I swapped one of mine back to Pet Plan because I was wary of things I'd read on RU about claims not going through when they blatantly should have done.

Petplan have been awesome for me. They have never refused anything. I have had about £2000 in the last year alone. As long as Rascal didn't have a similar problem before you insured him, they will pay :wave:

Petplan have been awesome for me. They have never refused anything. I have had about £2000 in the last year alone. As long as Rascal didn't have a similar problem before you insured him, they will pay :wave:

Brill, thanks, nope no known problems before I insured him (huuuge sigh of relief, God knows how much we've wracked up so far ... it was £70 just to get through the door on Sunday and we went twice!!)x

To be honest I don't think there are many other pet insurers that insure bunnies (or certainly there weren't when I first got my bunnies and was looking around). Pets@Home do I think.

I'm in Blackpool too :wave:

Just being nosey now ...... which rescue did you get your bunny from? And which vet do you use?

Oh wow, I've not met anyone else from around here. Well, I'm actually in Cleveleys but that's just being pedantic. :lol:

Well, it was pretty hard to find a rescue actually! I looked at Easterleigh in St Annes and they either had pairs or single males, and I needed a single girl for Benji.
I went to the RSPCA and they only had pairs too. I was recommended by my vet to try Animal Care in Lancaster, so we did and they were fantastic. :)
Really great staff and excellent rabbit knowledge.

I use Vets for Pets in Cleveleys. So far, they have been excellent. They even gave me a free check up last week because the vet admired Benji so much. :lol: All the staff are really nice and friendly and so far I've been happy with every visit.

Oh wow, I've not met anyone else from around here. Well, I'm actually in Cleveleys but that's just being pedantic. :lol:

Well, it was pretty hard to find a rescue actually! I looked at Easterleigh in St Annes and they either had pairs or single males, and I needed a single girl for Benji.
I went to the RSPCA and they only had pairs too. I was recommended by my vet to try Animal Care in Lancaster, so we did and they were fantastic. :)
Really great staff and excellent rabbit knowledge.

I use Vets for Pets in Cleveleys. So far, they have been excellent. They even gave me a free check up last week because the vet admired Benji so much. :lol: All the staff are really nice and friendly and so far I've been happy with every visit.

BIB - me neither!! I'm at the other end, Squires Gate so only really up the road from Easterleigh. My friend uses Vets for Pets in St Annes, which would only be a 10 minute journey for me ........... at the moment I'm using the Animal Medical Centre in Thornton (Hillylaid Rd) and its a 45 min journey each way which neither bun tolerates well at all.

Well its good to know there's someone else from my neck of the woods!

Ooh, one more question ....... have you encountered any decent bunny boarding in the area??

Jo x

BIB - me neither!! I'm at the other end, Squires Gate so only really up the road from Easterleigh. My friend uses Vets for Pets in St Annes, which would only be a 10 minute journey for me ........... at the moment I'm using the Animal Medical Centre in Thornton (Hillylaid Rd) and its a 45 min journey each way which neither bun tolerates well at all.

Well its good to know there's someone else from my neck of the woods!

Ooh, one more question ....... have you encountered any decent bunny boarding in the area??

Jo x

I do really like Easterleigh, we usually get our cats from there, but they just didn't have suitable bunnies for us.
The Animal Medical Centre would only be like 15 minutes away from me max. :lol: That seems like a long car ride for the buns! Benji would probably be thumping by then. Thankfully our Vets for Pets is about 5 minutes away, and I really like it there. Plus they do the Vac4Life thing, so Benji is vaccinated for life for £99. :)
I haven't had to do any bunny boarding yet, I've only had Benji since December, and I'm yet to go on holiday!

Jess x :)

Back