• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not drinking much...

NatalieP

New Kit
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice over my 6 year old bun Rusty. The past few weeks we have noticed he isn't drinking as much as he used to and since Friday he has barely drank 100mls which isn't like him, from what I can see urination wise he isn't peeing as much either.

He is quite lethargic and not really wanting to run around as much preferring to lay down and sleep although we do get an occasional binky out of him. He is eating fine he has burgess excel for overweight buns and we have in the past couple of days slowly started moving him to burgess excel senior. He has fresh every night which he loves....usually a few pieces of broccoli. We have cut back on the fresh to see if that helps his drinking and it hasn't, we have also noticed he isn't eating as much hay as usual.

He has been having a problem with cecotrophes for a while in terms of not eating them so ends up getting a bit mattered round his bum which I clean off and this week I have noticed a lot in his cage and had to clean off loads from his bum.

I feel loathed to take him to the vets as I know he hates it and really don't want to put him through the stress of going.

Does anyone have any idea's on what I can do to get him to drink more....I am getting to the point where I am going to start syringing him water a few times a day to make sure he is getting enough.

I am at a loss on what to do.....he is generally a healthy rabbit we had a time in 2009 where he suffered from anorexia for 3 weeks and we kept him alive by syringe feeding him food and water but I don't think this is related.

Please any idea's would be greatly received.

Thanks

Natalie

A messy bum is often a sign of over-feeding or if he is overweight he might not be able to reach his bottom. (He should be getting only an eggcup full of pellets per day.) It could also be a sign of teeth problems which could also put him off drinking. I would give him a bowl which will be easier for him and take him to your Vets to have his teeth checked. Good luck.

Back