• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tell tale signs of mites?

kazz

Alpha Buck
I picked Marley up today for a groom (which I always get a nip for!) And noticed when grooming a lot of white specks on him. Some little some big. Hes black but turning quite brown which I'm guessing is due to his moult. He's been laid out for a couple of nights, legs kicked back or hunched and then got up quickly to have a scratch either above his tail or on his cheeks but it isn't a constant thing, he'll have a scratch when hes grooming but like I said he was laid or resting and then got up for a scratch. . I found a little speck of something in the hair I pulled out of the brush but when I got my phone on zoom right in you can't really tell what it is. I'll post it in a second. I was just wondering what tell tale signs there are for me to determine if he has them or whether its just dead skin coming off, it was there before I started grooming. I've not seen anything moving but then again I've never dealt with mites I assume you can't see them well.

Any tips appreciated, maybe I'm just find something knew to be worrying about :thumb:

20130430_101852_zps7b0562ed.jpg

Photobucket has lost the quality of it, its clearer on my phone but there seems to be hair with it there.

Yeah, some white bits are bigger than others. Whats an effective flea/mite killer if it is them?

No you mustn't use anything from the Pet shop. If it is the mite Cheyelettelia (sp!) your rabbit will need a course of 3 injections of Ivermectin, not expensive, so I would take him to the Vet as it won't go away on its own.

How will they check for them? Just so I kmow the vets done it properly :thumb:

I've just done a bit of reading, the white specks don't seem to move and they're not like the shedded skin in the pictures and there is no red skin as far as I can see. I'm guessing they are worsened cases of the mite. Will get him to the vet thank you.

Last edited:
The Vet will know because he will have seen lots of other bunnies with similar. No you won't see the mites moving I think they live under the skin and cause the dandruffy appearance. I have only had it once, well not me but a rabbit of mine, and it is easily cured by the injections.

The vet will take a sample using sticky tape and use a microscope to see whether they are mites. That is only if they are unsure, usually the vet can tell straight away. I know because my bun suffers from sensitive skin and dandruff so after treating for mites several times with no effect they did this and concluded that it was just dandruff not mites :wave:

Back