• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E-Cuniculi few questions

willowflower27

Mama Doe
obviously evan been diagnosed with EC been treated for 28 days with panacur and has a follow up blood test to check his titre level
but how do i prevent him getting it again i've gone quite obsessive, bleack weekly, feed from a height, no hay in litter trays bit how do i prevent EC spores on his veg? how do people get their veg really clean?
am i just being bit dense? :oops::oops::oops:
on a positive note since the EC diagnosis and treatment he has been fab not nearly so bad in his chest vet has a theory that as his body was chock full of EC he's been struggling in general so everything else been made three times worse than it should have been. Not sure if i agree but clinically at the minute he is really well. Also should i panacur him again in 3 months

Panacur does not 'cure' EC as such. It simply reduces the number of spores circulating. The actual protozoal parasite itself will have been excreted from the Rabbit long before clinical symptoms present.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

Personally I am not pro giving Panacur repeatedly, I am of the belief that over-use of it could do more harm than good.

But you need to be guided by your Vet with regards to Evan

Routine hygiene measures as you have described should be sufficient. I am not sure what you mean with regards to 'cleaning Veg' :?

The vet said all his veg should be washed but i just wash it with warm water but wasn't sure if this gets rid of the EC spores if there is any i'm probably letting my ocd run away with me and over thinking as usual.
I have contacted the D!ck vet and just waiting for a reply i not sure if the titre level is negative this time and i follow all the good hygiene whether i would actually need to re do the panacur course.
He's just so well at the minute i really want to keep him well

Back