• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My precious Erin has a tooth root abscess- Op Done Further U/D post 42

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
:cry::cry::cry:

I took her to have her vaccination this morning and FHB found a tooth root abscess :cry::cry: There was a lump on her jawline and when Frances had a look around inside her mouth and a squeeze of the lump some pus came up in her mouth by the affected tooth :cry:

It's come as a shock because she was eating really well and is very lively. The only notable change in her is she is drinking a lot - which I had investigated 2 weeks ago and everything (including EC!) came back negative.

Anyhow, she's having it attended to tomorrow. I can't really tell you what she's having done as I fogged over :oops::roll: I *think* she's having the one tooth that is broken and therefore deemed to have let the infection in removed and that given she has good teeth it is hoped that it hasn't spread and is contained within that tooth root area only. Not sure where we go from there I think it depends on what FHB finds. She may have to stay in a day or two for the area to be cleaned to be sure it gets done properly (it's well established that I'm useless with such things).

Vibes for my beautiful girl would be much appreciated. I feel dreadful as I just bundled her in the carrier this morning and hadn't spend any time with her because I had no idea she was staying.

Last edited:
Vibes from me, she is clearly in good hands and hopefully the abscess has been found quickly :)

I am sorry to hear this. At least you can rest assured that Erin is going to receive expert treatment to offer her the very best prognosis

Sending lots of vibes for her xx

Gus had exactly the same op done today, again no signs but my vet felt it along his jaw. He's through the op ok and I'm collecting him later, loads of vibes for Erin xx

Thanks all, very grateful for the support.

Gus had exactly the same op done today, again no signs but my vet felt it along his jaw. He's through the op ok and I'm collecting him later, loads of vibes for Erin xx

Excellent news. I hope it's all done and dealt with as a one-off. I think this is the first time something new has been found on a routine health check for any of my crew.

Poor Erin. She'll be in expert hands and I'll be keeping everything crossed for a good outcome. Lots of vibes. xxxx

Poor Erin. She'll be in expert hands and I'll be keeping everything crossed for a good outcome. Lots of vibes. xxxx

Thanks

I'm still in shock that my poor girl has an abscess. I was only thinking last week, all the rabbits I have/had had and only 2 have had any dental problems... this abscess was festering away without me knowing.

I spent more time last night focusing on Artie as he did the vet trip too and I was really concerned it would be a big deal for him but *touch wood* he was very cuddly last night and very bright this morning. He had his vaccination a prospect which I've been mulling over ever since he got his kidney failure diagnosis.

Anyhow, my beautiful Erin... I just wasn't prepared for asking questions as it came as such a shock, I just went with the flow. I was given information of course but didn't take much in. I was quite tearful as I left her, as I realised like when Shadow needed his incisors out I hadn't spent time with her in the morning just bundled her in a carrier and whisked her off... I suddenly got a very bad deja vu feeling :( I usually take things like this in my stride as I know it's part of the deal but I was totally side swiped by this one. I think I totally relaxed about her health when she got x-rays and blood tests 2 weeks ago and everything came back negative ... including EC. At least I know her liver is doing well ... the last bunny I had having teeth extractions was Shadow, so this is a very tense day for me.:cry::cry: This girl is so precious to me.

Sending loads of vibes for your little girl today. She is in the very best hands.

Thinking of you. xxx

Loads of vibes...I know just how you feel as I was in this position yesterday, Gus's op went ok, he does look pretty strange though so be prepared! Hope your precious girls op goes well xx

Just seeing this, sending all good vibes for a successful surgery and quick recovery for Erin ((((((((((((vibes)))))))))))) xxxx

Oh no, how worrying :cry: She's in the best hands possible. Hope it goes well and she recovers quickly. Sending lots of vibes xx

:love::love::love:

Thank you so, so much for your support everybody. I don't think people in the non-rabbit world will really understand the anguish on this one.

Erin is just such a wonderful, gentle little soul. Though she loves to be cuddled it took her a long time to be bold enough to nudge me to ask me to continue with the snuggles. She's such a confident girl now, I really hope this won't change her.

Nah, she shouldn't change.....my Inca went through so much yet she still remained a wee mummies girl :)

Lots of vibes for your little one, an abcess was always a huge fear of mine with Poppy because she had such bad teeth, I hope it can be sorted quickly and easily.

Just make sure you give her lots of snuggles and treats, Poppy had periods of running from me because I was always picking her up for meds. Hand feeding and nose rubs would always sort her out and teach her she could still trust me.

Back