• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with possible EC in 12 year old SmokyJoe?

SmokyJoe78

Mama Doe
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice about my oldest rabbit SmokyJoe, who is about 12/13 and a gorgeous old boy!

He's been gradually slowing down over the last wee while - he had a cataract developing in one eye, but always loved his food and being outside in his run with his OH Lizzie. In the last week or so, we noticed he was losing weight, not going outside as much, and his cataract was getting worse and the white but at the corner of his other eye was showing more than usual. We took him to the vets who prescribed Meloxidyl for arthritis - last Monday and said his eyes were just age related.

I've been trying to feed him up and he's taken the meds fine but we haven't noticed any real improvement. Today he was sleeping in the sun (kind of on his side but with his head facing the other way, which I thought looked odd) then he couldn't get back into the shed - like his back legs had gone :( I had to help him in but his front half is totally fine and he's been poking his head out of the 'cat-flap' and munching veg.

I've got an appointment at the vets at 5.30pm tonight but I'm just convinced its EC - back legs going, eye problems, losing weight, balance/twisting issues, but I worried that because of his age they won't be so aggressive with treatment :( When I spoke to the vet he suggested an x-ray but that'll mean anesthetic which at his age is probably not an option?

Really just wondering if anyone has experienced EC in older bunnies and whether treatment differs because of age. I'm also wondering whether I should bring him inside so I can keep an eye on him?
Or just any tips. Really don't want to lose my old boy just yet:cry:

It might be worth treating your other rabbits with some panacur just to be on the safe side.

I don't know what to suggest with regards to SmokeyJoe, I really hope your Vet has some good advice. Is your Vet rabbit savvy? Hopefully it's not EC.. Other things can cause the symptoms you've described (Especially given his age!), but like you, I immediately thought EC :(

The only treatment I've come across for EC is panacur for 28 days, we had to do that years back - Thanks to a non-rabbit savvy Vet being completely useless!

Personally.. I would probably bring him indoors just to keep an eye on him. But that's me. If he looks happier outside with his OH then it might be kinder to leave him out there to avoid any stress/upset.

I really hope your Vet visit goes ok xx

It does sound like EC. I lost my old boy to what I believe was EC to Septmeber last year - he was 11. He was very incontinent, wobbly on his back legs and kept falling over, lost loads of weight, had cataracts in both eyes and wouldn't move around much in the end and seemed quite depressed. He wouldn't come out of the shed at all. He'd had a large does of Panacur (and I had wormed him regularly over the years) Baytril and Metacam, but nothing really helped and I ended up having to have him PTS.
I certainly wouldn't opt for an x-ray - I don't really see the point and it's not worth the risk. Your bun may have arthritis too, which will make him uncomfortable on his legs. If he is still eating and drinking well (my bun wasn't at all in the end), I would suggest to the vet that you want to treat the EC as aggressively as possible and see how your bunny goes. I hope he improves with medication and wish you well. He's got to a fantastic age!!

Hm, it's difficult to say if it is E.C or not. Perhaps start a course of panacur just to make sure, and ask your vet to take some samples. (I'm not 100% sure if it is blood or wee samples they will need). It should show up if he has E.C. It also could be arthritis and age related, in which case he would need a strong dose of pain relief/anti-inflammatory and maybe making things a little easier for him to get about.

You are limited to what you can do, given his age. Making him as comfortable as poss is the main thing. :) He is a fantastic age and I do hope he manages to pull through this. x

Back