• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plant ID Please

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
Can anyone tell me what this is? Looks a bit like shepherds purse or yarrow to me, but I have no idea what I'm doing!

Thank you :wave:

`I'm pretty sure I read it was OK to eat, but I would double check on the list of edible forage. Will see if I can find list and link it.

That's great, thanks :) I did look at the plant images thread first, but I only looked at the pictures :oops: Because the rabbits don't eat it, it's about the only thing that grows in my garden! :lol: I don't mind it, so I'll leave it where it is :)

:wave: Hi :wave:
I agree that it's bitter cress, neither do my buns eat it. I don't know if it's completely bunny safe ie in larger quanitities for forage, or whether it's unpalatable.
Parsnipbun feeds a wide range of forage to multiple rabbits & would be better qualified to comment than I am.
Round here I've only seen it growing in gardens.
My criteria for "bunny safe" is to tour the local warrens about a dozen of them. If a plant grows all round a foraging area but not inside it for no soil/shade reason & a general search says it's safe. I'm happy about it.
Some plants are said to be bunny safe but grow in wildie foraging areas. I only comment on my observation in those cases.

My photo is of Field Penny cress Thlaspi arvensis, the seed capsules are much broader.
I think I need to clarify this. Thank you for drawing it to my attention.:D

:wave: Hi :wave:
I agree that it's bitter cress, neither do my buns eat it. I don't know if it's completely bunny safe ie in larger quanitities for forage, or whether it's unpalatable.
Parsnipbun feeds a wide range of forage to multiple rabbits & would be better qualified to comment than I am.
Round here I've only seen it growing in gardens.
My criteria for "bunny safe" is to tour the local warrens about a dozen of them. If a plant grows all round a foraging area but not inside it for no soil/shade reason & a general search says it's safe. I'm happy about it.
Some plants are said to be bunny safe but grow in wildie foraging areas. I only comment on my observation in those cases.

My photo is of Field Penny cress Thlaspi arvensis, the seed capsules are much broader.
I think I need to clarify this. Thank you for drawing it to my attention.:D

:wave:

Thank you :) Now you mention it, I can see the resemblance with field penny cress. The leaves are a bit more round and paler, so I'd dismissed it. It's so hard to match plants to the photos, as I don't know if maybe it's at a different stage of growth in the photo.

:wave:

Thank you :) Now you mention it, I can see the resemblance with field penny cress. The leaves are a bit more round and paler, so I'd dismissed it. It's so hard to match plants to the photos, as I don't know if maybe it's at a different stage of growth in the photo.

I can find the matching difficult on photos too. In fact I prefer the old fashioned line drawings, then checking through in the text. With the "cress" family, there are usually seed pods below the flowers which come early in the year. I use these to narrow down the possibilities.
Penny cress has almost round seed pods with a small slit like groove at the top, They are distinctive.
Shepherd's purse also OK for buns has narrower heart shaped seed pods, & bitter cress has upstanding seed pods like diminutive beans, but I'm always in the book with those 2.

Yes, they can change appearance a lot as they grow. I guess with me it's just a case of "what on earth is that?" then going back a few weeks later -"Oh that's what it turned into!"

You are not alone! I always say - "Get to know your enemies - the really poisonous ones 1st."

Back