• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First bonding introduction....query.

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
I am taking Herbie to SPCA on Thursday to meet new bunny. They don't usually let people take buns to meet first but are allowing me. So, my query is, when I go to the centre and the room do I just plonk the two buns together and see how they get on? Then if they are OK is it fine to put them both in the one carrier to come home?

I will have a pen set up in my bedroom (Herbie has never been there) to do the actual bonding when we get back home.

I am not sure if it will be possible to tell if they are going to get on just by a quick meeting on totally unfamiliar ground. Herbie may be a little stressed and might not react normally. I hope whatever happens they like one another when they get home.

it's more or less what i have done in the past. they will be fine in the carrier anyway as they tend to be too stressed to fight in that situation.. might even help the bond along a little bit.

good luck! :thumb:

I am not sure if it will be possible to tell if they are going to get on just by a quick meeting on totally unfamiliar ground. Herbie may be a little stressed and might not react normally. I hope whatever happens they like one another when they get home.

I do realise that it won't be a definate sign of how they will get on, but I want to know that they are not gonna rip each others faces off.

it's more or less what i have done in the past. they will be fine in the carrier anyway as they tend to be too stressed to fight in that situation.. might even help the bond along a little bit.

good luck! :thumb:

Thanks :) Just wasn't sure about having them both in the carrier

That was my first introduction to bonding. I went to paws here in Edinburgh and they put Floppy in a pen with Mittens, watched for half an hour then said they'd be fine and to take them home together. That was it, they were best friends till she passed away!

I think you will have a very good idea as long as they don't fall on their sides to attack each other. Chasing is fine as long as the one being chased doesn't turn to fight.

Trust your judgement and if it's going okay, pop them in the carrier for the trip home then bond as you were planning. I hope it goes well, I can see why you have fallen in love with her. :love::love:

That was my first introduction to bonding. I went to paws here in Edinburgh and they put Floppy in a pen with Mittens, watched for half an hour then said they'd be fine and to take them home together. That was it, they were best friends till she passed away!

I think you will have a very good idea as long as they don't fall on their sides to attack each other. Chasing is fine as long as the one being chased doesn't turn to fight.

Trust your judgement and if it's going okay, pop them in the carrier for the trip home then bond as you were planning. I hope it goes well, I can see why you have fallen in love with her. :love::love:

Thanks Ali :)
I think I like her cos she is like Inca! OK, a bigger version, but I do just like an ordinary looking bunny. That and the fact that she has been at the SPCA since last June.
She better behave when I take Herbie to meet her....she has a life of being spoiled rotten ahead of her if she does :)

Back