• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Parsnip might have bloat!!

Poor Parsnip was rushed to the emergency vet last night with what the vet thinks may be bloat. He ate all his tea (small amount of Oxbow pellets, handful of cabbage and a small slice of carrot) then about 5 mins later he started to really 'flop' all around his run and inside his playhouse too. I took him in doors and rubbed his tummy which felt really hard and very tender so I didn't do this for long. Put him back outside and he started to flop again so I rushed him to the vet (about 7pm). the vet called at 9pm and said the IV pain killers were working really well and he was much more comfy and even let her examine his tummy which she said couldn't feel any blockage or anything that she would be worried about. She did say sometimes gassy problems are linked to a high gluecose reading but Parsnips was all normal. I'm just waiting for the vet to call today for an update. He was in the vets on Friday having his teeth rasped under GA, he was fine and started to eat in the carrier on the way home. No bad effects at all and was really perky. I'm not sure if this may have caused the gassy problem??

Has anyone's bun had this and got through it ok? I'm so worried, Parsnip is 5yrs and a totaly softy sweetheart.

Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery.

I've just spoken to the vet and great news, Parsnip is much better and eating thank goodness. His poops are a bit loose but the vet says that's normal with the meds he's been given. I'm picking him up tonight and will keep a close eye on him

Phew, so very pleased he's ok : ))

Great news that he's feeling better. I've had one at death's door with bloat so I know how worrying it can be. Here's hoping he continues to perk up and is soon back to his normal self.

So pleased Parsnip is feeling better already. I also had a bunny we were close to losing with bloat. It just came on so quickly out of the blue, with no apparent reason. The emergency vets were great with her, and she came through it. I said my goodbyes to her when I left her there and will never forget the phone call from them to tell me she was becoming difficult to handle so they thought she was feeling better. Frankie is an unhandleable bunny so I knew she was on the road to recovery if she was playing them up :lol:

thanks guys :wave:

Luckily my hubby is at home this week on holiday so he has been giving me hourly updates on how Parsnip is doing. I was worried this morning as Parsnip wasn't really any better but had pooped and eating but just seemed 'not himself'. We kept him indoors all night so I could keep an eye on him but there was no change so we decieded to put him in his playhouse outside with his little friend Pixie too. He really started to perk up and from the last report from hubby he was trying to pinch grass out of Pixie's mouth then when hubby interviened Parsnip growled and went for my hubby!! Now I know he's feeling better as he is always grumpy but we adore him!! :love::love:

Back