• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny pee! U/D leaking again...

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Harrison had cystitis a couple of weeks ago, he started leaking urine everywhere so we went to the vet and he had an anti-inflammatory injection and a week of antibiotics. The leak cleared up immediately after the injection and first dose of antibiotics. He was absolutely fine in himself throughout, it didn't bother him at all.

The last couple of evenings he's done a couple of spots of urine, it was at the same time each evening and it was when he was being given a treat. I panicked at first, thinking it was cystitis again or something worse, but he's fine and hasn't had any other leakage. I've read on here that bunnies can pee when they're excited but that seemed to be pre-neutering. Can it happen post-neuter? I think he was done quite a while ago now so his hormones should have settled (Captain Helen can correct me if I'm wrong about that!) Am I safe to assume it's just excitement?

Last edited:
I personally think that a week course of antibiotics may not be long enough to clear up cystitis. I would just keep an eye on him and if he leaks again then I would go back to the vets. Are you definate that he is not leaking any other times?

In my experience I have had to give 3 - 6 weeks antibiotics.

Hopefully the week has been enough and he is on the mend x

Thanks Kermit. It has only been that couple of times and we've been hyper alert for it of course! If it continues I'll get him checked out again just for peace of mind.

Oh no, poor Harrison :( Is it definitely a leak and not territorial marking? He was neutered on 23rd January, so I guess it's unlikely to be hormonal. Maybe he just needs a longer course of antibiotics? It does seem odd that he only does it when he has a treat! Could it be a kind of bladder weakness?

Hmm, well after several days of nothing he is leaking again. Booked in at the vet at 5.45 :( Poor bunny.

Oh no :cry: If it cleared up straight away with the antibiotics last time, then I'd think a longer course would be the way to go. How did you get on at the vets?

Actually it cleared up straight away after he had the anti-inflammatory injection when the antibiotics wouldn't have had chance to work so the vet has given him a course of metacam. I asked about more antibiotics but he said he thought we should try the metacam on its own first as adding antibiotics might cloud the picture. He's really well in himself so that seems fair. I'll take him back on Saturday if things don't settle. I don't think he's had any more leakage this evening so touch wood it'll settle quickly.

Oh right, well hopefully the Metacam will work its magic again. Much tastier for him too! Glad it's not bothering him :)

Back