• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cage size help (NIC+Dog Crate)

Kaiyoyuki

New Kit
So I will be getting a 8-week old Holland Lop, right now I am only planning on only having one bunny, but I may add another down the line. My idea is to use an old dog crate (I think this is it http://www.petco.com/product/13372/Petco-Premium-2-Door-Dog-Crates.aspx dimensions are 36" L X 23" W X 25" H) I was wanting to add another level in it like this
CowieHABITATbyCowieCow.jpg
but I don't know if it's tall enough. Then in addition I was going to leave the front door of it open to lead directly out into a NIC cage attachment. I am not sure how big I am going to try to do 1.5-2 grids wide (depending on space restrictions) and 4 long and 2 high. Is this enough space for one holland lop? He will spend a good amount of the day due to the fact that I am in school and my dad works. And if it was 2 grids high would I need a top? or should he be able to stay inside? Any help would be great. And if you need more info to give me the best advice just ask, and any other tips or advice for a new bunny owner would be much apperciated :)

Hi :wave:
I think that sounds good, the crate is quite small but as long as it is open all the time into a good sized area of NIC cage it should be ok. As for putting a roof on it, it depends, but I've found that my rabbits are very enterprising and can get out of things that seem far too high for them to jump!

Back