• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Young bun, puffy eye UD 04/05/2013 - Myxi & Manufacturer response

RavenMoon

Mama Doe
Hi all, just looking for suggestions, maybe I'm being paranoid.

Pooka, baby bunny, who was 12 weeks last Friday, had vaccine last Tuesday, has one eye looking a bit swollen on the centre underside. She's a tad clumsy, so she could have caught it, and she seems to be behaving, eating, drinking as normal.

Any thoughts or am I being over-cautious?

Last edited:
It was the new combined vaccine, yes. I was going to ring in the morning and see if they could look at her to be honest.

I was wondering if it could be a reaction to the vaccine, but wasn't sure if it would have shown before 6 days in. .

Young bun, puffy eye UD

She's been this morning to see the vet. Had a look over ears, bum, eyes and teeth and there were no further lumps or sores. A bit of iodine showed what looked like a small indentation in the lower lid of the swollen eye, so I've got some eyedrops to bring the swelling down, and will take her in again if she stops being herself or I notice any further sores. Haven't a clue how she's got hurt in the first place, although she's very clumsy and always running into things. Her and the boys have been together for nearly three weeks and are still watched like hawks and there's no aggression there.

Really glad to hear it doesn't seem to be too sinister, especially as yesterday one of mine had been squinting slightly in the sun yesterday, and I'd started to get worried it might be myxi when I read your post here and your post re myxi cases in sheffield. Mine are all vaccinated but I had to have a vaccinated rabbit pts about 7 years ago with a really bad case of it so I was panicking. It must have been the sun that was making him squint because there was no sign of anything later last night or today. Keep us updated, hope her eye heals up quickly:thumb:

I don't know if it is a coincidence but both times Lola has had the combi vac, round her eyes have came up slightly swollen and Red. This is immediately after though, and had gone down by the evening.

Taking her to the vets again today.

The swelling on her eye has started to scab, and yesterday a scab appeared at the base of her ear. She's still being completely herself, still eating, drinking (albeit seeming a little less than usual), and eating my clothes.

Been to the vets. Vet says it looks like Myxo, showing in the ears and eye, but that it seems to be going slowly. We're not sure if she gained enough immunity from the time she had with the vaccine, whether it is a rare side effect, or whether it just starts out this slow sometimes. She's getting in touch with the vaccine manufacturers to inquire from them and will get back to me (she tried before we got down there but apparently they're having a training day wherever they are).

So we have baytril, we're ready to syringe feed and water if necessary and she has her eye drops for the moment. Fingers crossed that she doesn't get any more symptoms, and we can get through it.

I'm scared though x

Oooh bless her :( I really hope it doesn't get too bad and that she manages to recover completely. Such a young age to be fighting a serious illness, if that's what it is and not "just" a side effect :( Sending loads and loads of vibes xxx

Oh dear poor Pooka, hope the treatment is successful and she recovers quickly. Sending vibes your way

Thanks, given her the first lot of baytril. She wasn't impressed and I got a nice nip. Now need to see if she'll keep eating. Just keep wanting cuddles at the moment, she must be getting fed up of me!

Well, the vet gave me a ring today following a response from the vaccine manufacturers. They have said that they had not experienced reactions as far in as what Pooka's are, however in some cases where the virus was incubating not long after the vaccine was administered, the reactions were similar. They have said that in most cases full recoveries were made, but obviously the vet doesn't want to make any promises. The manufacturers have said that they have passed the details onto the governing body for medication side effects, and gave the vet a reference number for the case so she could ensure it was on their site soon. She also offered to take a look at Pooka tomorrow morning or Tuesday (Monday is bank holiday here) for a quick check free of charge.

Pooka herself seems fine, eating, drinking, pooping etc. and I took her to the new house with me to keep an eye on her whilst I was waiting on a delivery there. Cue bunny 500s, binkies and some mega flops, so I don't feel she's suffering. I'm just glad she's still seeming happy, and grateful that I have a vet who is clearly concerned for her as well.

Oh no, how awful. :cry: I hope that the vaccine has at least helped a bit. It does sound like she may have caught it before or not long after having the vaccine. I have not heard of the combi causing myxi but obviously it hasn't been out for very long. Keep us updated about the reports etc and Pooka's progress. The fact that she seems to be feeling well in herself is a good sign, but beware...myxi can get nasty. I really hope she manages to recover from this with no long lasting effects.

Sending her lots and lots of vibes!! :love:

Well, little miss seems to be improving. The swollen lymph node on her ear has dramatically reduced in size, and the swollen scabby bit under her eye no longer looks swollen. Thankfully she still hasn't stopped talking to me despite having to force the Baytril into her, so I'm feeling quite positive. Obviously not out of the woods yet, but reduced lymph nodes seems to be a good sign, as it would suggest she's not having to fight so much internally any more.

Well, little miss seems to be improving. The swollen lymph node on her ear has dramatically reduced in size, and the swollen scabby bit under her eye no longer looks swollen. Thankfully she still hasn't stopped talking to me despite having to force the Baytril into her, so I'm feeling quite positive. Obviously not out of the woods yet, but reduced lymph nodes seems to be a good sign, as it would suggest she's not having to fight so much internally any more.

:thumb: Brilliant news. I really hope she pulls through!

Back