• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hot rabbit?

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, my girl Coco has very, very warm ears, warmer than usual and the fuzzy spot at the base of her ears is also quite warm. Her wee is reddish in colour and she's a weeny bit less running about than normal - but only in the hutch of an evening, like now; in the day she still chases her sister and is active in the garden. She's eating okay as far as I can tell. They're both booked in to the vet on Sunday for this rabbit awareness free health check, but I don't know if I can wait that long. She's been like this for almost a week, but then her ears went cooler again and her wee seemed to be less red so I've just been watching her. Tonight she's quite warm and the wee's redder again. I have metacam at home.

Don't know what to do really - any suggestions? Thanks

Red wee is usually diet related. Are they on grass? Sometimes dandelion leaves can cause red wee.

The warm ears could be the sign of an infection going on, but it could be the weather change. It has been very warm some days and cold and windy others, perhaps they she hasn't adjusted to the warmer temps yet.

Red wee is usually diet related. Are they on grass? Sometimes dandelion leaves can cause red wee.

The warm ears could be the sign of an infection going on, but it could be the weather change. It has been very warm some days and cold and windy others, perhaps they she hasn't adjusted to the warmer temps yet.

I would take her to the Vet today

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated :)

I think I'll phone the vet once I've taken my daughter to school, as they are very good, and see what they suggest i.e. take her in or not. I'd like to try and get a wee sample too, just to rule blood out. That will be fun ... :lol:

I've noticed my bunnies ears have all been warmer but it has suddenly turned really quite hot here. Because they are all indoors I have started opening all the windows and leaving them open in the bunny rooms at night, and the ears are all cooler now. I bought a small water spray bottle, and for years now and when I had my very severely disabled Roger, I spray their ears with cold water when they are hot as aren't the ears an indication of if bunnies are too warm or not, and if you cool the ears then it cools them down as well and makes them more comfortable. I think it is just like us getting a bit hot and bothered and can't be bothered to move so fast (or is that just me). I've definitely noticed that when their ears are cooler from just being sprayed they instantly pick up and become more active. With regards the darker pee I've seen that as well, but just feed more succulent fresh stuff, and when it is really hot I've found my bunnies have drank more with an ice cube in, water changed during the day as well so it is always fresh, and Roger had dreadful dark pee and didn't drink enough, and in desperation once I put a tiny dash of orange squash in his water to see if it would make him drink more and it really did. I think friends thought it was a bit over the top iced orange squash for Roger, but if it helps and works then why not. I'm sure darker pee is like us when we are not drinking enough, but I wouldn't dream of implying that they might not need a trip to the vet, but I know my bunnies and how things change when the weather gets hotter, and what helps, but obviously if I was in the situation whereby it didn't sort it, then of course they would go to the vet.

Back