• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is anyone elses rabbit feeling rubbish?

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Every year about this time, either N or T look so miserable. They're both moulting (quite heavily some days) but Tapla seems fine, meanwhile Nena is not hugely interested in food. She accepts anything you give her and has a little nibble then drops it and looks for something better - then resigns herself to it and eats. Then she hops off for a few mins and comes back to it. Sounds like normal behaviour but N&T have always been total piggies. This happens every year so I'm like 80% sure she's fine but I'm still worried. She wolfs down her pellets, eats probably almost as much veg as usual and she seems to be eating hay/readigrass fine but I'm not sure whether to pop her to the vets. Thing is, both N&T get hugely stressed after a vets visit in a hot car so if it is just her feeling sorry for herself it's really not going to help her...

N&T are on grass all year round and it's very very very short at the moment as I'm aware the spring hay can be rich. I know buns can feel a bit rubbish whilst moulting and when the weather has changed (I'm suffering from the quick weather change too to be honest!). They've never had any dental problems and are checked at least yearly for spurs/beginnings of spurs. She wolfs down her pellets so I'm not convinced it's a dental thing. If she was refusing any food of any type she'd be straight to the vets but she's just a little less interested. I'm thinking it might be all of the above, plus the fact that the veg looks decidedly limp and rubbish at the moment and probably doesn't taste that great...

It'd be good to know if any of your bunnies are feeling miserable too?

Yep mine are. Tilly and Munch are eating and pooping fine but are moulting and generally miserable. It doesn't help that Cheeky is so poorly so penned off at the minute so their dynamic isn't the same. I was wondering if her illness is affecting their mood :?

Yep mine are. Tilly and Munch are eating and pooping fine but are moulting and generally miserable. It doesn't help that Cheeky is so poorly so penned off at the minute so their dynamic isn't the same. I was wondering if her illness is affecting their mood :?

That's good to hear, thank you. Although not good for your bunnies! I'm sure that Cheeky being poorly is affecting them, and combined with the moulting, weather changes and rubbish food it's no wonder our buns are feeling so down! I just wanna cheer them up but there's no way to :(

Spenser can look very grumpy and sorry for himself, but in his case it is normally linked to me being out for more than the couple of hours he considers acceptable.

I hope Nena and Tapla are back to their usual selves soon.

Our outdoor pair (Oliver and Maisey) are MISERABLE! :(
It's the change in heat - they still have winter coats so must be boiling now the sun is out. I've given them an extra water bowl, more shade on their run and am trying to help the moulting with a littel brush, but they'll be sad for a few more weeks till they get rid of the excess furriness!

I think it's pretty normal, they were like this last year too.

I try to avoid taking ours to the vets if at all possible as they're all such stress-heads, it makes them worse rather than better. As long as they are all eating, pooing and I get the occasional dash around the run, then I don't worry too much.

*I'm NOT advocating not getting medical help when needed*

Haven't noticed a difference really, Bella seems her usual cheeky self...Boris would always moult heavily this time of year though and look a little miserable because of that. Last year he was very snuffly too :(

Back