• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What tools do I need to put a catflap in the side of a hutch?

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
If I can do it I can out a run in the only spot in the garden that gets the sun, so Smoo can sunbathe every day, not just at the weekend. :love:

Do I need an electric saw? Could anyone who's done it give me a brief step by step? :wave:

I do know that you need to get a catflap that is suitable for glass really. I had a catflap installed in my playhouse and I was told that if you get one meant for normal doors, it will be too thick for your wood.

Because glass is thinner, the two panels of the catflap should fit together properly on one meant for glass.

My grandad did mine for me, but I think you get a cutout of the catflap and draw it onto the hutch/shed, so you can see where to cut on both sides. I wouldn't have been able to do it, it was really hard getting the screws to stay in through both sides of the catflap, but I'm not DIY savvy at all! I think he did use an electric saw though.

i'm certainly not DIY savvy so will be borderline useless at advice, but my OH put mine in so if you're still unsure when he's home i'll get him to write down step by step instructions! i do know that he didnt use an electric saw and we have a regular catflap not meant for glass, i've put the same catflap into 2 sheds and it works fine :thumb:

like others i won't claim to be good at diy but i put a dog flap in both of my playhouses.i used a ordinary 1 meant for wood.i used a drill and a jigsaw to do it.the drill for the screw holes and to put a hole to put the jigsaw blade through.the hole i cut out was by no means straight but didn't matter as the edges of the flap covered the rough sides.

like others i won't claim to be good at diy but i put a dog flap in both of my playhouses.i used a ordinary 1 meant for wood.i used a drill and a jigsaw to do it.the drill for the screw holes and to put a hole to put the jigsaw blade through.the hole i cut out was by no means straight but didn't matter as the edges of the flap covered the rough sides.

Yes we needed a jigsaw and electric drill too

Get a cat flap that has twiddly bits so you can fasten it shut. Been handy when I've needed to hose the playhouse and wildie keeps trying to get back in :roll:

I get to play with power tools. :D
I want a cat flap because it has to go in the sleeping area of the hutch and I want to keep it cosy in the winter/wind. I can't believe I found a run that would fit in the space I have, Smoo is going to be so happy. I'm ordering the run tomorrow and it might even get here by Thursday with any luck.

Where have you found the best place to buy cat flaps is as I was just going to go to pets at Home?

Back