• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This is an epic!!! to bunny or not to bunny? this is the question

Kora

New Kit
Hi all, I am Kora and have been around buns and furrys all my life.

My first bun Jak , just passed last week and I am devestated.
I decided I would never have another bun of my own , but would like to help with rescue and fundraising for our mistreated friends.

After visiting a rescue centre yesterday, I felt ok and met lots of lucky bunnys soon to find new homes, and learnt about the fab people and their rescue centre, and look forward to helping out where I can.

Then on the way home a weird thing happened......my mum pulled up at the traffic lights and I said to her "Mum pull in there at Pets at home" I dont know why but had a feeling....
We walked in and saw many bunnys needing homes as usual, which although sad I am not the sort to want to "take them all home". but I saw a bun in a sale enclosure, and said to Mum "I would love a cuddle with her", mum enquired how i knew she was a 'she' ,and I dont know.
After waiting 45 mins, an assistant came over , she told me that she was infact a girl, and a Giant , now my knowledge told me she could possably be an english lop, as her ears are increadably long! but the assistant could not tell me , then I was told she was 8 weeks old, when I questioned that she was very large for 8 weeks and her ears are both in lop position and she is developing a dewlap, I suspected she was nearer 12 weeks, the assistant replied "well we get them at 8, and then they are quarentined for 10 days so she could be older"

I was a little sus! the assistant then picked her up, and the bun paniced,and struggled.....I took the bun from the assistant and she calmed down, then the weirdest thing happened......

The bun started to chin my face.....much to mums and my suprise.... then she curled in my arms and layed her head right on my face, AMAZING

I have handle hundreds of rabbits over the years and this ha s never happened before... I dont know what to do.......

I didnt think I wanted another bun, and my morals say never buy from a pet shop.....but I feel this bun has picked me..
the shop have little info about her , and if my suspicions are correct she is gonna be HUGE !

Please Bunny peeps help me out here x x x

Personally I wouldn't get the bunny from the pet shop (but then I refuse to get ANY animal from a pet shop)
Pet shops will keep getting animals from back yard breeders, often from horrible conditions as long as people keep buying them :(

I'd never be able to go from a rescue full of bunnies needing homes to a pet shop and consider getting one from there when I had seen bunnies already desperate for homes at the rescue.

That is just me though :)

Hmmm - similar thing happened with Holly - in P@H - wondered by the adoption centre and there she was, begging for attention. The assistant said she is quite nervous - nervous my bottom - had the best cuddle ever right in that shop and took her home. She was however a geniune rescue in that she had been dumped at the shop ... but we couldn't resist - and you know what? I have NEVER had one moments regret with her as she settled into our home so quickly and easily and is a truely wonderful bunny (and is about as nervous as my belly button:lol:).

Just saying that sometime following your heart is the right thing to do:thumb:

Hi,

We can't make the decision for you!

The same thing sort of happened to me... I got the bunny! :oops:

It's completely up to you. But bear in mind if you get the P@H bunny you'll need to pay for her to be spayed and vaccinated whereas the ones at the rescue will be done already. And of course, just because you didn't find the right one at the rescue doesn't mean another rescue won't have the right one for you.

But, it's up to you to decide! :wave:

Personally I wouldn't get the bunny from the pet shop (but then I refuse to get ANY animal from a pet shop)
Pet shops will keep getting animals from back yard breeders, often from horrible conditions as long as people keep buying them :(

I'd never be able to go from a rescue full of bunnies needing homes to a pet shop and consider getting one from there when I had seen bunnies already desperate for homes at the rescue.

That is just me though :)

This for me too x

Somehow I think you know in your heart what you feel to do. Would you want just one or a pair... if you help out at the rescue you could always foster and if a suitable companion came along...

For me I would (now) get animals from rescues but love comes in many forms and who are we to turn away from such strong signs...

Back