• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking rabbits on journeys?

I *think* some people do. Personally, I wouldn't. My two get very stressed just being in the car and Xena (my doe) gets a very poorly tummy at any kind of stress. My two go to boarding when I go away (although this is for a week) and they really enjoy themselves. :)

I take one of mine to my mums sometimes...its only 5 minutes up the road and i take her out on the lead into a field. Its a private field so no dogs etc. My blokes mum used to take their cats on holiday all the time and they even took them on the beach with them? Really strange I think I would lose my cat if i took it on a beach!

Mine get looked after by a pet sitter. I don't like them going in the car any more than necessary, I find it stresses them too much

The only time they come with me was when we go to visit my mum and only if I'm going for at least 4 days so they have some time between to relax! It's about a 2 hour drive, they're not the biggest fan of it but they do relax pretty quick when we arrive!

Ludo is coming with me when I go house sitting during the summer. It's ten minutes away, but it'll be on about 5-6 separate occasions!

I couldn't bear to leave him behind though!

I took Kermit away for a long weekend with us at a Log Cabin. He was still an ill bunny at the time through his head tilt. I put his Nero 4 cage in my back seat and he was fine with the drive, then I used the cage as his base in the Cabin and just let him run about. He was fine :)

Thanks for your replies, sounds like it depends on the rabbit. I was asking because we're going away for a few days, only a couple of hours away from home, and I was weighing up whether it's better to take him with us and risk him being a bit stressed by the journey (he's been pretty laid back on car journeys previously) or leave him at home where he might be lonely (pet sitter nipping in once or twice a day). I just can't decide!

We wouldn't with ours as they hate car journeys and get very stressed but I do know of a French lady who takes her bunny to France when she goes back to visit family - got his own passport even:D. He is a very chilled out bunny though - and is very used to it all.

It's a tough decision - but having had to leave Bobo on his own last year for a few days (with MIL coming to feed etc) we wouldn't ever do that again as we constantly worried about him and felt SO guilty!

Maybe you could take him out for a few more car journeys before hand to get him more used to it...even though he sounds quite okay anyway?

Yes

I do ... my mum & dad live 2 hours away from me in Whitby. Jasp either sits in the carrier box or I put his cage on the back seats of my car. He's not a bother & is sprawled out in no time! :) x x

We wouldn't with ours as they hate car journeys and get very stressed but I do know of a French lady who takes her bunny to France when she goes back to visit family - got his own passport even:D.

Maybe you could take him out for a few more car journeys before hand to get him more used to it...even though he sounds quite okay anyway?

Wow, a rabbit passport, that is so cute :love:
I think I might do that, yes.

Yes, Fiver used to come with me (when I had him single) to my gf's if I was staying there for a while. He used to love the car journey, but that was because I never put him in a carrier. He would sit on my knee with his harness on (mainly for safety). He would always put his paws on the window and look outside at the passing scenery. My gf was only 10 mins away, however. When I got him a wife, it wasn't fair to let him out and not the other, unfortunately he DESPISES the carrier, and this is mainly why he gets so stressed. If I still had him as a single, I probably would take him with me, he is a very confident and friendly bun and I do believe he'd enjoy it. I wouldn't if the car ride was more than half an hour. x

Before my Banjo passed away and after he lost his wifey, I used to take him to Liverpool with me to see my friend. He was a very chilled out bunny though and would literally flop and eat hay the whole journey and when i'd check on him would lick me and beg for treats :roll: Used to do it with Albie as well before he met his wifey. On the train he had the seat next to me and he LOVES attention so when the train staff walked past and coo'ed at him and said hello he'd be all happy and get lots of noserubs :love:

But I know with some of my current buns that would be a bad thing to do as they are so nervous.. really does depend and you know your bun best :D

Back