• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do I need to know about rabbits before I get one?

LopPaw

New Kit
Hey everyone! :D
My mum has agreed that if I get my own job and save up my money, she will consider letting me get a rabbit of my own. I only have two months until I'm able to get a job, but I still have lots to learn before I adopt a rabbit. I don't think I could ask a more less-specific question than this, but what do I need to know about rabbits before I get one? Do I rescue one, buy one form a pet store, buy one from a breeder? What breed is best for new owners? What is their correct nutrition, how much space and exercise do they need, what diseases and health issues can they have/get? What do I need to do make him/her happy?

Thanks.

Last edited:
As there are over 60,000 rabbits in rescue in the UK I think most of us on here would recommend getting a rescue!

Also rescue buns will (normally) be neutered/spayed and vaccinated already. They will also be able to help you find buns with a character that will be happy with you :p Rabbits are social animals and should really be kept in bonded groups, rescues will have already bonded pairs so you wouldn't need to go through the stress of a bond!

Rabbits need a lot of space, the minimum guidelines from the RWAF say that a single/pair of rabbits should have no less than 48 sq foot 24 hours a day. That does seem daunting but if you check out the housing sticky in the housing section there are lots of wonderful ideas!

You will need to get them vaccinated for myxi and VHD, there is a new dual vaccine that covers both and is only needed once a year, that costs about £30-40 depending on your vet.

Food, an adult rabbits diet should be 80-90% hay or grass as this keeps their teeth worn down preventing tooth problems and also provides the fibre that they need for their tummies to stay healthy. This can be supplemented by a high fibre pellet rabbit food, which is generally preferable to the rabbit muesli you can buy. Brands common on here are burgess excel and supreme science selective (normally written as SS) another often surprising fact is that they don't need much rabbit food, normally and eggcup full per day per bun is recommended, as if you feed too much of other things they won't eat their hay! Veggies, herbs and wild plants that you can forage are a lovely addition to their diet but are not needed as such. Personally I use them as treats! The most important thing with diet is to implement any changes very slowly so you don't upset their tums.

Another key tip is to hang around on here, we are a friendly bunch a and always willing to help. There are also some amazingly knowledgeable people on here. I have learnt so much and am still learning every day, and my buns are reaping the benefits! :love:

Edit - just seen that you are in Australia, I don't know the rescue situation in Australia, but I'd still give it a go! Also I believe that you are not allowed to vaccinate your buns over there? I know the myxi vaccination is not allowed, is there VHD over there to vaccinate against?

Last edited:
Is VHD the same as RCD/RHD? If so, there is vaccination here, according to this website. A direct quote from http://members.iinet.net.au/~rabbit/rcdfaq.htm: "Yes there is but many people have noticed adverse reactions in rabbits to the vaccine. Also, because RHD cannot yet be grown in the laboratory, the RHD vaccine is made from a base of livers taken from deliberately infected rabbits in Spain. This is morally and ethically very hard to accept for true animal carers - that another animal dies to make the vaccine to save their own." Does that sound right? If this website is accurate, that is a bit iffy for me - I'm vegetarian.

Thanks for the info. About the housing - does that mean it needs to be outside permanently? We have a creek behind our house and foxes live there - they might take the rabbit if he/he isn't monitored. Also, one of our dogs (an excitable greyhound x whippet who loves chasing small animals that move quickly) might scare the rabbit to death. Is there anyway I may be able to keep the little fella inside? I can take him/her out for a run in an outside pen every day, monitored and away from scary sighthounds, but I just can't keep him/her outside 27-7.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. About the housing - does that mean it needs to be outside permanently? We have a creek behind our house and foxes live there - they might take the rabbit if he/he isn't monitored. Also, one of our dogs (an excitable greyhound x whippet who loves chasing small animals that move quickly) might scare the rabbit to death. Is there anyway I may be able to keep the little fella inside? I can take him/her out for a run in an outside pen every day, monitored and away from scary sighthounds, but I just can't keep him/her outside 27-7.

I think as the situation i quite different in australia it might actually be preferable to keep bunnies inside? predators like you mention, and also bunnies dont deal very well with heat! how much space would you be able to offer a rabbit/rabbits inside? as they will still need the minimum requirement of 44sq feet. some people on here have rabbit proofed a room/rooms to let bunnies free range or you can make a setup with something like a dog crate and puppy panels for more restricted freedom :thumb:

No, I have house bunnies, just they still need the same amount of space :wave: I agree, in Australia I would prefer house buns.

If you look at the housing section there are 2 'sticky' thread at the very top that show examples of both indoor and outdoor housing, loads of ideas! :p

Re the vaccine, I think it is the same disease, but I have never heard of that before, there are lots of veggies and vegan bunny owners on here and that has never been mentioned (that I know of) I would do more research before deciding not to vaccinate, I have to say that quote seemed very anti vaccinating!

The info about the manufacture of the VHD vaccine is true. A member on here asked for some figures from the drug company a few years ago (although I don't know if the same company is involved with the vaccine available in Australia) details in this thread. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?249019 While I didn't completely like the thought of it, the fact that so many bunnies could be protected from one rabbit's liver made the decision easier for me.

As Hele's mentioned, we now have a combined vaccine in the UK which protects against both myxi and vhd - one of the advantages of this fairly new vaccine is that the myxi virus is genetically modified to also provide immunity against vhd but I don't think they've found a way to do a similar thing with the single vhd vaccine. :(

I might be talking rubbish here - but I thought that because rabbits are thought of as pests in Australia - they don't actually allow vaccinations even of pet rabbits. Am sure I read that in a post on here some time ago...but I might be completely mistaken:oops:

Alot of people do keep bunnies inside but they do need just the same space and you will need to rabbit proof like crazy as they love wires and all things chewable. Do not assume anything is safe! These little critters are sneaky little tykes and can get to places you wouldn't think possible. Have a look at the housing section on here - some great ideas!

If you can get another 2 bunnies then do it - but if not - will you have the time to spend with your bunny - they need company!

For new owners I would go for a lop eared bunny - from my very limited experience, our lops are way more friendly, easy going and human loving than our lionheads (we are just the feeders to the lion heads = they have absolutly no other use for us:D). BUT - that might just be our rabbits - they are all so different in personalities.

Not sure what the rescue situation is like in Australia - but I would go rescue if I were you. You will get invaluable advice from the rescue - more than you would a pet shop (which will tell you anything just to make a sale) - and breeders aren't much better unless you find one that truely cares where their buns go to.

So exciting for you though! Bunnies are the best thing - you just time a whole load of time and patience but it so pays off :thumb:

Thanks everyone!
I can easily adopt a rescue bunny from the RSPCA, so I think I'll do that. There is something so much more satisfying about rescuing one than buying one from a breeder. As for breeds... who knows what comes in at rescue centres. Whoever steals my heart is perfect for me, but I think I'll look for a lop - I've always loved them. Just out of curiosity, what are Cashmere Lops like? They're so cute.

I'll check out the housing. I'm sure we can manage it - we have a huge rumpesroom so I'm sure we could figure out something with that. I was planning to spend heaps of time with the bunnny as it is, like a little buddy to keep me company. If I can get two I will, but if I can't this rabbit will be with me every second I'm home - I'll make sure of it. I probably would want to spend every second with him/her anyway.
Can you get toys for them to play with when you're not home? Could they find company with birds?

Re the vaccine, I think it is the same disease, but I have never heard of that before, there are lots of veggies and vegan bunny owners on here and that has never been mentioned (that I know of) I would do more research before deciding not to vaccinate, I have to say that quote seemed very anti vaccinating!

Yes, I thought the same thing. I think RHD/RCD is just a new name for it - they mentioned something about a new name on there. I'll do a bit more research into it before I decide whether or not to vaccinate the bunny/bunnies I get. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
I was just talking to my mum about all these vaccines and deadly bunny diseases. She was telling me that my dad might be a bit funny about getting a rabbit. Apparently, as a kid, he always had rabbits and they were always dying of myxomatosis. Every time he got attached to one, it'd get myxomatosis and die, and he found it really hard. Without the lovely vaccine that you guys have access to over there, how do I prevent my rabbit from catching this? I read that fleas and mosquitoes carry it, but somewhere else I read that rabbits don't get fleas. I thought it sounded funny, so I'm double-checking: can rabbits get fleas? Also, do you know of any effective ways to prevent a rabbit from getting myxomatosis? I know you have to keep them away from fleas and mozzies, but how? Can you get something like a bunny bug repellant when you take them outside?

Last edited:
Dont let then out early in the morn or evening when the flies are most about outside, and a fly net over the cage. If your keeping her in a room you could get a net to cover the window? Some fly wax strips in the room to catch flies? And the vets will able to give you a flea repelent :D

It's because of Myxi I only ever recommend people in Oz to have house buns as they're going to come less in contact with mozzies than a rabbit outdoors. You will need to be careful with your dog though, partly as he'll view the bun as food and partly as he can bring in parasites like fleas from running around outside.

If you can have a house bun (or two) that would be best! In the room you mentioned with air con (hot summer temperatures = big nono for bunnies) and mozzie proofing!

Back