• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Prudence and her new sand pit

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I don't know how many of you have seen pics of Prudence over the years in her turtle sand pit but she absolutely loves it. Sadly in recent weeks her back legs have become so weak that she could no longer get into it. So yesterday we started making her a new lower sided pit with a step so she could go back to sitting on the sand :D

We gave it to her today and she loves it. However we were gutted to find that her sore feet had split open :cry: She lands so heavily each time she "hops" it was inevitable that it would happen sometime soon. I have bandaged them but the weight of the bandages means she can no longer walk :cry: She has so many issues I know we are living on very borrowed time and this has made things a whole lot worse. I am hoping that I can put something smaller on them tomorrow and we are getting her some stable matting in the week. I just hope we can get on top of it all this time.

So please excuse the large number of photos, I wanted to take as many as I could, while I still can

Oh and as you can also see, her companion Bruce is alive and well ;)

P1040660.jpg

P1040661.jpg

P1040663.jpg

P1040664.jpg

P1040665.jpg

P1040666.jpg

P1040668.jpg

P1040669.jpg

P1040670.jpg

P1040672.jpg

P1040673.jpg

She is so beautiful, and she obviously still has tonnes of enthusiasm..but it must be so frustrating for her.... "mind is willing but body is weak" come to mind. It's so heartbreaking to see them like that, but you are giving her the best life she could possibly have.

Lots of healing vibes for her

Awww, she is beautiful... what a lovely couple they are..

Sending lots of vibes..

fee x

Bunnies can play in sand? :shock: Oh my, I had no idea. Is it a softer surface for them than say, old towels and such?
We have lovely sand at our riversides, although they can have lots of mineral in them due to the high pyrite/gold flake content, so it's a heavy sand. If I wanted to do something like this for my bunnies, should I buy sand at a home improvement store instead?

Poor Pru...she looks a wee bit disapproving of her foot wraps. I really wish we could make them understand this kind of thing is for their good. :(
She and Bruce look lovely though. :) What heartwarming cuddle piccies! :love:

I've been following quite a few of your picture threads, I'm sorry I haven't commented on each one, but they are a bright spot to my day to see the Rainbow Rabbits in their home. :)

Bunnies can play in sand? :shock: Oh my, I had no idea. Is it a softer surface for them than say, old towels and such?
We have lovely sand at our riversides, although they can have lots of mineral in them due to the high pyrite/gold flake content, so it's a heavy sand. If I wanted to do something like this for my bunnies, should I buy sand at a home improvement store instead?

Poor Pru...she looks a wee bit disapproving of her foot wraps. I really wish we could make them understand this kind of thing is for their good. :(
She and Bruce look lovely though. :) What heartwarming cuddle piccies! :love:

I've been following quite a few of your picture threads, I'm sorry I haven't commented on each one, but they are a bright spot to my day to see the Rainbow Rabbits in their home. :)

We use a mixture of childrens play sand and soil. Its always kept damp so it doesn't get dusty. Tbh they don't dig in it they are too lazy, they prefer to sunbathe or poo in it, but long as they are happy.....

We use a mixture of childrens play sand and soil. Its always kept damp so it doesn't get dusty. Tbh they don't dig in it they are too lazy, they prefer to sunbathe or poo in it, but long as they are happy.....

I remember the Lewis (I think?) in the sandpit video from the DVD. :love:

Bless her :love: Sending loads of healing vibes xxxxxxxx

I love the sandpit idea, I'm going to look into making one for mine :D

They are such beautiful buns and the pics are so heart warming -they've brought a tear to my eye xx :love:

Back