• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How bad do snuffles have to be before you don't vaccinate?

LainiT

Warren Scout
Ellie isn't too bad in the last 3 days, a v rare sneeze, bit of wheeziness at some points during the day. All she's having atm is Bisolvon twice a day. I've not made the appointment yet for her c&s cos she seems mostly not too bad. She's due her jabs mid May. I'm taking Bandit for his on Tues and have Ellie booked in at the same time but I'm not sure if I should let her have them.

They are indoor buns mostly at the mo, but do go out in the run when the weather is good (pah not v often here obviously!!) I'm just worried she'll have her jab and then her snuffles turn really bad again. :( I know she needs doing its just whether to wait if it would be better

My personal opinion it's don't vaccinate a rabbit unless they're 100% healthy. My vet said that the data sheet for the vaccine states this and therefore there isn't any guarantee it will even work unless the rabbit is fully healthy. :wave:

Thanks Jenova, I did briefly ask the vet who treated her last if she was ok for her jab. She said yes no problem, she's not got a weakened immune system so all would be fine. I had no idea that it was possible for it not to work though, thanks for passing that on.

She was discharged from the vet because she thinks all that remains is scar tissue which is making her snuffly and wheezy, I guess I need to get her in for the c&s. Oh why is her jab not due in a few months to give us more time grrrr!!!!

bisc and matt still get vaccinated and always have, even at their worst. this was on the vets advice. this new combined vaccine is gentler and they do seem fine with it. :wave:

I might take her down then with Bandit and see what they say. Thanks. She's having her claws clipped anyway so thats really gonna go down well!! :lol:

I might take her down then with Bandit and see what they say. Thanks. She's having her claws clipped anyway so thats really gonna go down well!! :lol:

i forgot to say - matt has a stronger course of his meds just before the vaccination and after aswell, just to make sure he is as stable as possible before it. there may come a time when he can't have them, but so far he has seemed ok with them. bisc i think will always be ok having them, he's much more stable. :wave:

Bluebell was always vaccinated at the beginning aslong as he was generally good in health and not on any medication, once he was on daily meds and nebulisation both my vet and I decided together that it was not in his best interests as his immune system was pretty non existant.

aaaw bless our little snuffly bunnies :( I feel a bit better about her having it now. Touching every little bit of wood around me but she's really not bad right now so best get her done even though its a couple of weeks early.

Erm...would this affect her c&s, or is it just antibiotics?

Back