• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats wrong with woodshaving???

Bunnie

Warren Scout
people keep on saying u should'nt use woodshaving but i don't understand why, when my sis had rabbits she used woodshaving and her bunnies were fine?

Woodshavings are generally very dusty even the ones that claim to be 'dust extracted', They can cause respiratory infections and can also irritate their feet and cause sore hocks. Also when they urinate on them the shavings release phenols and can potentially do a lot of harm.

Im sure somebody else will be able to come along and add or correct me if i am wrong! :thumb:

Woodshavings are generally very dusty even the ones that claim to be 'dust extracted', They can cause respiratory infections and can also irritate their feet and cause sore hocks. Also when they urinate on them the shavings release phenols and can potentially do a lot of harm.

Im sure somebody else will be able to come along and add or correct me if i am wrong! :thumb:

This, plus they aren't very absorbant anyway and go everywhere!

What Jack said.

From other thread-

Woodshavings can cause respiratory problems with rabbits, they could aggravate eyes and be digested. People use them with no problems but I would avoid them completely. It's not difficult to find alternatives- megazorb, just newspaper and hay, Fitch, auboise.

I've got to say, they're not that wonderful anyway!

Nice thick layer of newspaper, cover it in the hay that's not so fresh any more- job done! :thumb:

I use a couple of handfuls of woodshavings on top of a newspaper and I find them very absorbent; more absorbent than hay and newspaper anyway. No respiratory problems thus far for either bunny.

I agree that woodshavings are not good.

As for your sister's rabbits - there were lots of things people used believe about rabbits and their care which we wouldn't dream of doing now. For example, it was fine to keep them in a tiny hutch (often at the bottom of the garden), they didn't need space to exercise, they didn't need vaccinating or vet checks, they didn't need good food and plenty of good quality hay, they didn't need neutering, they didn't need the companionship of another neutered rabbit, they were cheap pets to keep.

As a result of changed thinking (and therefore much better care and quality of life) most rabbits live much longer, happier and healthier lives: if rabbits lived till they were 5, it was considered a 'good age' and it wasn't unusual for them to die at 3. Now, it isn't unusual for rabbits to live until they are 10 or older.

I agree that woodshavings are not good.

As for your sister's rabbits - there were lots of things people used believe about rabbits and their care which we wouldn't dream of doing now. For example, it was fine to keep them in a tiny hutch (often at the bottom of the garden), they didn't need space to exercise, they didn't need vaccinating or vet checks, they didn't need good food and plenty of good quality hay, they didn't need neutering, they didn't need the companionship of another neutered rabbit, they were cheap pets to keep.

As a result of changed thinking (and therefore much better care and quality of life) most rabbits live much longer, happier and healthier lives: if rabbits lived till they were 5, it was considered a 'good age' and it wasn't unusual for them to die at 3. Now, it isn't unusual for rabbits to live until they are 10 or older.

Before I got my bunnies I did so much research, and Im so glad I did because the amount of rubbish advice I had from other rabbit owners was unbelievable. The amount of times Ive heard 'well my rabbit had this and my rabbit had that and was ok' has made me wanna scream! lol x Apart from the lovely peeps on here I actually dont know anyone who personally take proper care of there bunnys. Very sad indeed x

I have also heard that wood shavings which contain pine when peed on react with the ammonia in the urine to produce phenols, which then get breathed in causing respiratory infections.

I'm sure your sisters rabbits were fine, issues are rare, a bit like not that long ago our water was brought into our homes via lead pipes... We didn't all die from lead poisoning but we know better now and don't take the risk that problems could arise by using a less poisonous metal to transport our drinking water :lol:

Before I got my bunnies I did so much research, and Im so glad I did because the amount of rubbish advice I had from other rabbit owners was unbelievable. The amount of times Ive heard 'well my rabbit had this and my rabbit had that and was ok' has made me wanna scream! lol x Apart from the lovely peeps on here I actually dont know anyone who personally take proper care of there bunnys. Very sad indeed x

I was exactly the same but with advice from Pets at Home. Pretty terrible.

it's the damage they can do that you can't see aswell which is a worry. i see people saying that the buns are fine but you can't always see the damage they can do inside.

Yes. two (separate) people have just bought rabbits from P@H. It is very difficult to attempt to give advice without seeming to lecture (I'm so passionate on this subject!) that I almost prefer not to know how their rabbits are.

There very bad for the chest. I used to use them. Have you ever put your nose to them? I did once I sneezed, coughed and that's just 1 min or so, how do you thing the rabbit feels living in them?:)

Yes. two (separate) people have just bought rabbits from P@H. It is very difficult to attempt to give advice without seeming to lecture (I'm so passionate on this subject!) that I almost prefer not to know how their rabbits are.

I know what you mean. I try so hard to advise people I know but it falls on deaf ears :( x

Back