• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does anyone clean litter trays every two days?

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
i used to clean them daily, then switched to every other day and daily in the summer... but now i have switched to fitch bedding, they seem ok for two days. every other day with megazorb is like every two days with fitch.. but i wondered if this seemed a bit manky, only doing them every two days :oops:

of course i will do them daily in the summer. :wave:

Must confess, for my own piece of mind, i change mine once a day.. I used megazorb. During the summer, if we ever get one, i'd do it twice a day..

I do them every two days, every day when it's really hot. They have a 42L tray plus two small cat litter trays and in their main tray I put in two whole newspapers. They never get fully soaked through. I check it every day to see if it smells and it never does.

Daily, with newspaper and hay. I usually spray clean them every other day but since the weather has been warmer I spray them daily too.

Edit- now my outdoor buns have 2 litter trays I do the pink one daily as they have the hay rack above that one and use that more. I clean the purple one out every other day and pick out really soiled on hay daily, the purple tray also gets sprayed every other day even if I don't do the pink one for weeks because its proper manky now, their wee seems to make the paper stick to the base.

Last edited:
I clean out trays every two days. Because the bunnies have several trays to use, each one only has a couple of areas of wet litter and it never smells. I use Megazorb and hay in trays. The only time I swap to daily is in exceptionally warm weather.

Oh, and I almost never disinfect trays. When they start to get very scaled, I give them a thorough going over with vinegar but other than that, they just get the dirty litter scraped out and clean litter put in on top. I (personally) believe that (a) bunnies like their litter trays to smell of themselves and (b) people are too hung up on banishing germs. Wildies don't have access to disinfectant! I've done this for donkey's years and whether I've just been lucky or not, it's never caused any illnesses or issues.

I do Julie's from one to three days depending how much she pees. I use horse bedding and it swells up with moisture so will come up too high if she pees a lot. It absorbs odor great but Julie has to have a grate coving her litter or she eats it. If she was touching her litter though I'd have to do it at least once and day or her feet would get gross from all her pee.

bisc and matt have two 42ltr boxes, and then one smaller normal size litter tray and they seem to wee and poop equally in each one. i also clean the trays every time i change them with confi2clean pet spray.

i might check them every other day as normal and if they seem overly wet then change them, and if not, push it that extra day.

Oh, and I almost never disinfect trays. When they start to get very scaled, I give them a thorough going over with vinegar but other than that, they just get the dirty litter scraped out and clean litter put in on top. I (personally) believe that (a) bunnies like their litter trays to smell of themselves and (b) people are too hung up on banishing germs. Wildies don't have access to disinfectant! I've done this for donkey's years and whether I've just been lucky or not, it's never caused any illnesses or issues.

I do the same, I just swish them round with a bit of water sometimes and descale if necessary but the paper never gets fully wet so it doesn't reach the actual box very often.

I have 2 buns sharing a 32 or 42 litre box a third filled with aubiose or hempcore which is really absorbant and draws urine down to the bottom. They are indoor buns, so during winter I clean them out completely 2-3 times a week, with a thorough scrub and disenfect at the weekend. In summer, I clean them out more often, like every other day but not daily unless it gets really hot indoors.

Its definately everyday in summer and I would say its 5 days out of 7 in winter.

I empty it and wash it in the shower with washing up liquid and rinse well, then on sundays I do my big muck out where the whole shed gets done with white vinigar and water, I then do the litter tray with the solution too and scrub with the hand brush.

One of my pairs Pickle & Pixie have one 32L storage tray and its directly under their hayrack. They eat lots and lots of hay so its fills up pretty quickly with nice golden poops and sometimes can get a bit full up of hay. I put a layer of newspaper on the bottom of the tray then small handfuls of wood based cat litter in all the corners then a good 3-4cm layer of aubiose then hay on top.

With my other pair Lily & Flopsy they have 2 of the 32L trays with obviously the same litter as the others. I clean all trays out every other day but if its a really hot summer day I will sometimes do them daily and just use less aubiose ect. The trays never smell and they are never soiled.

I clean the litter trays and have a good sweep up everyday. I don't use any disinfectant but once a month I fill the litter trays up with water, add a dash of vinegar and soak for a few hours which works a treat to get rid of the grubby bits :D xx

Since only having Herbie I only need to clean his litter tray twice a week.

I chuck the old hay every day.

I assume you are talking about outdoor buns? I always did mine every morning and rinsed it out with pet safe disinfectant but then I am a bit OCD:thumb:
Now he is an indoor bun its at least once a day and as I have a very good sense of smell it could be twice in summer:roll:

Back