• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Piggy question

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
For those who have had both indoor and outdoor piggies, do you think that indoor piggies are more likely to suffer from dry skin due to central heating etc? Mine all live indoors and Toots in particular really suffers from scurfy skin. It's definitely not fungal or mites/lice - just flakey skin. There's no crustiness, soreness, bald patches or itching at all - just dandruff :roll:. They all stink now because they've just been done with Gorgeous Guineas Micro-Neem oil :lol:. I think I'll just have to treat them with oils such as the Coconeem melts and Micro-Neem every month or so, to keep their skin in tip-top condition.

I've only had indoor pigs buit I actually find central heating to be a benefit, as they are always better in the winter when the hunidity is really low

I've only had indoor pigs buit I actually find central heating to be a benefit, as they are always better in the winter when the hunidity is really low

Interesting! Toots has got progressively more scurfy as the winter has progressed. She's been ivermec'd (they all have) just in case it was mites, they've been treated with anti-fungal's just in case it was fungal but the dryness just doesn't improve. It doesn't seem to bother her at all, but she has a big black patch of hair on her back so any scurf is highly visible. I'm not keen on over-shampooing because I think that just dries the skin out even more. Oil is definitely the way to go and the Gorgeous Guinea's range is about the best you can get! But neem REALLY stinks :shock::lol:. They must hate me!

Last edited:
Weird isn't it? When it's been at its dryest I've been itching like crazy but Cassie's skin has been better. I think with batthing that they do benefit from it, but I don't do it as frequently as every few weeks.

Back