• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Off to get my new rescue bun Jenson (formerly Smokey) :) UPDATE pics post 6

Sooo excited now! :D

Just got to dig out my camera so I can take lots of photos of Jenson meeting Poppy again. Hopefully they will fall in love quickly.

Will update with photos when I get back.

Last edited:
I'm hoping I can do a quick bond .. just trying to work out how I'm going to neutralise the whole living room & dining room, while they are bonding in the bedroom! Poppy's favourite place is under the settee...so I guess I need to neutralise that too :shock:

3 and a half hours into bonding now...Jenson hasn't tried to hump Poppy but will insist on trying to approach her bum rather than her face. She doesn't like it, so a bit of stamping and running away.

The puppy pen was too big as she kept running, so spent the last hour in a ferplast 39 inches by 20 inches...so now when he approaches her bum she jumps to the other side of the cage.

Looks like this could take a while!

Anyway, a few pictures ...

Jenson

Poppy

Jenson showing off his helicopter ears

downsized to ferplast cage

Good luck with the bonding! I found I had to go down to a cage the size of a large litter tray (or about the size of the underbed storage box in your pictures). Otherwise they would sit apart from each other. Forcing them to sit side by side was the only way to get them to groom each other.

Best of luck - if you've not had hate at first sight then I'm sure they'll be loved-up within no time.

The ferplast is just a bit bigger than the underbed storage box...so I made a shelf at the end to put food and water bowl...but Poppy kept sitting in the bowl of dandelions to get away from him...now laying on shelf.

I think he may have a little food aggression, probably as he hasn't had to share his food or hay for last six months. He does tend to lurch at her when she goes to eat the hay. But if I stroke him, he lets her lay in the litter box eating hay. I'm thinking I may need to downsize further, but threw all my smaller ferplast cages away.

At the moment he is making slow aproaches to her head but she jumps away still!

There is definitely no real aggression..he has pulled her fur a couple of times when I was typing and not watching, but that was some time ago now.

Last edited:
After bonding two pairs into a quad, this should be relatively easy :lol: i think they just need a bit of a helping hand! They seemed quite happy snuggled together with their head against each other when i was stoking both at the same time.

He just needs to learn to leave her bum alone, and she need to put him in his place!

Improvised with an amazon box that fits on the shelf! So that now blocks off the space at the end of the litter box, but they can still get to the water...and I don't think Poppy is silly enough to sit in the water bowl!

Just scattered some excel pellets in hay, and they are both happily munching. I had to go out and buy a bag of excel pellets as that is what he has been fed on...I didn't realise they were so small! I've got to wean him off excel as my other 3 only have about 8 ss pellets now.

Awwww, he is just gorgeous. It sounds like so far so good, I hope they are fully bonded soon. It reminds me how lucky I was that Peter and Pixie didn't really need bonding, it is soooooo stressful.

What lovely looking bunnies. I just love harlis and anything with fluffy bits... Jenson is a real beauty. Hope they chillax together.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the positive vibes. :thumb: I'm starting to see some more positive behaviour from Poppy at last. Now when he goes to nose her bum, she doesn't run away but turns around so her nose is to his nose. After several scatter feeds, they are happily eating together nose to nose, and flop out (though not side by side) so are chilled and relaxed.

Jenson loves to be stroked, and loves his willow ball. Poppy is obviously wanting to get out...she hasn't been confined to a cage since she was spayed 3 years ago...but I told her it won't be for long! Just waiting for one of them to start grooming the other, but neither show any signs of asking for grooming..so wondering if they are both submissive :lol:

been up since 2 this morning due to insomnia! So I have been watching Poppy & Jenson...they have been pretty much laid out at either end of litter box.

I *think* I just saw Jenson try to groom Poppy's nose, but she quickly jumped away.

I think I may need to downsize on the litter tray, ans see if that helps a bit as then they will have to lay closer together!

Back