• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mango update 29/04

KoShiatar

Mama Doe
I've been to the vet's this morning.
The x-ray shows a large mass in the stomach, with a bubble of gas in it - typical of an impacted ileum, says the vet. She says Mango probably ate too many caecotrophs.
She's given painkiller, subcutaneous fluids, Zantadine, Motilex, recovery food, recommended to keep warm, and recommended giving pineapple juice.

This is the first time I have to face this kind of illness after 3 years with my bunnies.
I'm looking for any kind of useful advice from those of you who have had to deal with this illness before. Mango is very quiet - altough I've seen him trying to use the litter tray. I'm aware he could die if his condition goes downhill and I want to be sure I've done all that I can.

Last edited:
Aww...poor little boy. Hope he gets better soon.

Sorry, I've not had a bun with impaction so can't help there, but lots of vibes...and {{{{{hugs}}}} for you as I know how stressful it is to have a poorly bun.

He doesn't want to eat from the syringe. I'm so sick with worry... I want to do more for him, but what? What can I do????

How worrying :cry: Has the vet mentioned removing the blockage or does she think it will break down? Could you have Mango admitted for IV fluids? Sending lots of vibes xx

We agreed that if he's not better, he'll be back again at the vet's tomorrow for more IV fluids, more painkiller and another assessment of the situation.
Meanwhile my rabbit allergy has flared up in a way I've never know before. What a day! :censored:

Last edited:
Mango ate bits of dandelion flowers if offered, drinks from a bowl, and has even tried some hay. He passed some uneaten cecals, and those oddly elongated poos that are often described as a sign of bowel upset.
He's a bit brighter, but not out of the woods.

Now he's refusing food again. I don't wish to stress him with a syringe again... what could I offer to tempt him?

Last edited:
It's not that nobody isn't offering advice, I think it's because there are so many active threads at the moment - this was right at the bottom of the second page and I don't always look on the second page myself, I think it's just because the forum is so busy! You're not from England are you, if I remember correctly?

When my bun was in stasis after her spay last year, I literally tried everything but in the end it was dandelions, hand picked grass and parsley! She didn't eat hay or pellets for a long time afterwards, so I had to constantly be picking dandelion leaves and we bought a lot of parsley that week! I don't know what the availability is like for you, but have you tried Dill and Mint? my buns go absolutely mad for dill and mint! They also love broccoli, a very small slice of carrot (but due to Mango's upset tum this might not be such a good idea for you!!) They also love 'barley hoops' (again not sure if you have them where you are!) and hand-picked grass :D

I really hope Mango feels better soon, poor boy. Please don't think we're deliberately ignoring you, I promise that is not the case!

Mint has made his stomach upset before and it's a no. I wish I could have dill, but it's not a beloved herb in Italy and even the largest supermarkets usually don't have any.
He seemed to want to chew some hawthorn leaves, but it's like he's too weak to chew and swallow. I don't know what to do, I don't even know if it would do any good to bring him to the vet again. Maybe, but maybe not... perhaps it would only stress him...

I am sorry to have missed this thread, I have rather a lot going on at the moment :cry:

Is Mango drinking ?

Also, did the Vet give you medication to continue administering ? With gut stasis/impaction it is almost always necessary to continue medication for at least a couple of days

Metoclopramide every 8-12 hours

Ranitidine every 12 hours

Pain relief (frequency of dose would depend on what analgesic is prescribed)

Fluid therapy

So if he has only had a one off dose of the various medications I would definitely take him back to the Vet

Hope Mango feels better soon xx

I have all of the medications at home. Motilex, Zantadine, Critical Care, painkiller, and a large bottle of IV fluids I'm administering personally, 100 ml per day (he's 1,300 kg). I'm also giving him a hot water bottle to help keep temperature up. He drunk some but he wees all over himself, I think he feels too weak to go to the litter tray. Also I had to go back to syringe feeding him, but he won't swallow eagerly, just sit there and I'm so afraid to choke him.
What can I do? What can I do...? All I can do is really stand here and watch him wane? :(((((

Back