• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mimi Sneezing :( Snuffles??

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
For the past 5 days or so I have noticed Mimi sneezing more offen than usual. She's not sneezing all the time, it tends to happen in bursts of sneezing. There's no major discharge, although her nose is sometimes a bit wet after a sneezing fit. She is fine in herself, eating well and not lethargic.

Could it be snuffles?? If so, what am I dealing with? Could anyone please direct me to some informative snuffles threads?

She'll be going to the vets on Monday. I'm so hoping its just a mild thing that will pass :(

I've just been reading up on it and now I'm pretty frightened for her :(

As some of you will know Mimi had a severe case of head tilt due to an inner ear infection 3 years ago (almost exactly) so I'm wondering if that was Pasteurella and its now rearing its ugly head again :cry:

Sounds like snuffles.

The good news is that snuffles is rarely fatal if it is treated properly. She'll need antibiotics. I'd also look at her diet, making sure she has a good one and her life, making sure it's not got sources of stress in it, as a good diet and low-stress environment will help aid her recovery.

There is a medicine called Bisolvon (not sure what that would be in french) that thins the mucus and makes more of it, meaning the bacteria is flushed out better and the nasal passages don't get as blocked - as rabbits don't breathe through their mouths this can be a great help to them. Your vet may also prescribe an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) to help reduce inflammation and pain - here the main brand is metacam.

You also may want to get the vet to do a Culture and Sensitivity test on a swab taken from high up the nasal passage, as that could confirm the bacteria and so allow them to choose a suitable antibiotic. It's not always pasturella, you see, there are others that can cause 'snuffles'.

Forgot to say - good luck at the vets! Try not to panic - snuffles is usually manageable with medication.

Sounds like snuffles.

The good news is that snuffles is rarely fatal if it is treated properly. She'll need antibiotics. I'd also look at her diet, making sure she has a good one and her life, making sure it's not got sources of stress in it, as a good diet and low-stress environment will help aid her recovery.

There is a medicine called Bisolvon (not sure what that would be in french) that thins the mucus and makes more of it, meaning the bacteria is flushed out better and the nasal passages don't get as blocked - as rabbits don't breathe through their mouths this can be a great help to them. Your vet may also prescribe an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) to help reduce inflammation and pain - here the main brand is metacam.

You also may want to get the vet to do a Culture and Sensitivity test on a swab taken from high up the nasal passage, as that could confirm the bacteria and so allow them to choose a suitable antibiotic. It's not always pasturella, you see, there are others that can cause 'snuffles'.

Thank you :) just a couple of questions I hope you don't mind!

Do buns with snuffles end up having antibiotics long term or just until symptoms subside?
Is Bisolvon given orally?

Metacam is the same here so I will expect my vet to give her some.

Her diet is pretty good as far as I know, all my buns get unlimited good quality hay, a small amount of pellets for breakfast and either greens, grass or dandys (or a mix) at tea time. Is there anything I can add to that that might help her?

Her environment is very calm and quiet as she is a nervous bun by nature. She has plenty of exercise and her husband Timmy. I've been opening the windows more lately as its been very warm here, in the mid 20's. I hope that hasn't caused this :(

Thank you :) just a couple of questions I hope you don't mind!

Do buns with snuffles end up having antibiotics long term or just until symptoms subside?
Is Bisolvon given orally?

Metacam is the same here so I will expect my vet to give her some.

Her diet is pretty good as far as I know, all my buns get unlimited good quality hay, a small amount of pellets for breakfast and either greens, grass or dandys (or a mix) at tea time. Is there anything I can add to that that might help her?

Her environment is very calm and quiet as she is a nervous bun by nature. She has plenty of exercise and her husband Timmy. I've been opening the windows more lately as its been very warm here, in the mid 20's. I hope that hasn't caused this :(

It depends on the bun really, for instance Jenova's Grim will probably be on antibiotics for the rest of his life as his infection hits him badly and he gets abscesses too. My Barney was on antibiotics periodically for a long time, repeated courses of baytril, but for the last 6 months or so hasn't needed any, and just gets bisolvon for a while if I notice any running of the nose or eyes. Most bunnies will have antibiotic courses until a week or two after the symptoms are gone, and then won't again until the snuffles flares up again - in some buns this never happens, in some not often, in others very often - all depends on the bunny and how good their immune system is.

Yes, bisolvon is a white powder and is given orally, I just sprinkle it on pellets.

They may not prescribe metacam, particularly at first. They'll probably want to try just antibiotics first.

Variety is good in a diet, that's what my vet said, to make sure he gets a variety of greens. Willow may help relieve pain, plantain is an anti-inflammatory and echinacea is an immune support. Her diet looks good.

I don't think opening the windows will have caused this, but if the temp has suddenly gone up rapidly that could be it. Drastic changes in temperature can stress a rabbit's system and that can be enough to have the pasturella to flare up. After big changes in temp my Barney always sounds a bit dodgy with his breathing, where his snuffles acts up.

It depends on the bun really, for instance Jenova's Grim will probably be on antibiotics for the rest of his life as his infection hits him badly and he gets abscesses too. My Barney was on antibiotics periodically for a long time, repeated courses of baytril, but for the last 6 months or so hasn't needed any, and just gets bisolvon for a while if I notice any running of the nose or eyes. Most bunnies will have antibiotic courses until a week or two after the symptoms are gone, and then won't again until the snuffles flares up again - in some buns this never happens, in some not often, in others very often - all depends on the bunny and how good their immune system is.

Yes, bisolvon is a white powder and is given orally, I just sprinkle it on pellets.

They may not prescribe metacam, particularly at first. They'll probably want to try just antibiotics first.

Variety is good in a diet, that's what my vet said, to make sure he gets a variety of greens. Willow may help relieve pain, plantain is an anti-inflammatory and echinacea is an immune support. Her diet looks good.

I don't think opening the windows will have caused this, but if the temp has suddenly gone up rapidly that could be it. Drastic changes in temperature can stress a rabbit's system and that can be enough to have the pasturella to flare up. After big changes in temp my Barney always sounds a bit dodgy with his breathing, where his snuffles acts up.

Thanks so much for your help :wave:

We've been having major temperature fluctuations here, it was mid 20's last week, then we had 6 inches of snow last weekend then it was back to the mid 20's this week so that's probably what has set things off :roll:

So I guess it's wait and see what the vet says now :(

Sorry for jumping in but where could I get echinacea from?

You can buy it dried (sometimes called coneflower) from the hay experts or you can buy it in tablet or tincture form from health food shops. Personally I use the A Vogel brand because their tablets are very high quality and they use all the useful part of the plant, not just the extract that is meant to be the key ingredient. In studies on other supplements, this way was found to produce a more effective supplement than supplements that used only the standardised extract of the key ingredient. You can also buy it at Tesco. I get the tablet form as I don't like adding things to my buns drinking water and most tinctures are made with alcohol. They'll eat the tablets if I put it in with their pellets or Annabelle will take it from my hAnd- she thinks they're treats.

Back