• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice for me.. 2 new buns..

BunnyMomx2

Young Bun
So ive kept rabbits before.. yep I know they need tons of space.. and thats what my 2 new bunsters have!
My last 2 rabbits, I had from babies I started off with them in a hutch (as I didnt know better then)
regards to my 2 new bunstrrs I have a dog crate (HUGE) and a HUGE pen made from NIC cubes so I can extend as they grow - or im thinking to bunny proof everywhere.. anyways i wont pick them up until May..
any advice..
ive lino down in the crate with a tray for their hay n poops (I wanna litter train!! as I did with my last 2) should I put carpet down? blankets.. what about the pen?
Anywhoo any advice is appreciated =)

If you're going to have the whole room, make sure all wires are covered because they will nibble them :lol:
My buns like blankets, they're pretty good at going in their litter box, so we leave that on a rug at one end of the room.
They have some nice fleecey blankets which they like to lay on and flop too :thumb:
What kind of flooring do you have in the pen?
We have wood flooring, which one buns fine on but the other hates so we have two rugs for her. :)

in the pen its just sat on my floor which is wood/lino... but im thinking to go buy a piece of lino to sit the crate and pen on as I dont want floor ruined as im in a rented house =)

im confident they have lots of space and will be able to free range when were about. they will be 8-9 weeks when I get them.

Yep, lino is a good idea. I'd use some of the NIC panels to bunny proof the room ready for when they come.

Space wise, the welfare recommendations have gone up from 36sqft to 44sqft now, in case you hadn't read it already. I'd keep them in the crate for the first 2 days, as that will help reinforce that the crate is where they toilet, but after that they'll need the 44sqft - usually this is achieved with a 6x2ft hutch attached to a 8x4ft run, but indoors it is easier, as you bunny-proof and then let them free-range instead of a 'run'.

EDIT: Also, many of the rabbit food companies have changed their recipes recently so you might want to check up on the pellets you plan on feeding them.

There is also a fantastic new hay supplier called 'hay for pets': http://www.hayforpets.co.uk/

Can't really add to what's been said, but if your're on the lookout for bunnies take a look at BARC they've always got loads waiting for new homes of all ages, some already in bonded pairs and you'll save all the expense of neutering and first injections!

Can't really add to what's been said, but if your're on the lookout for bunnies take a look at BARC they've always got loads waiting for new homes of all ages, some already in bonded pairs and you'll save all the expense of neutering and first injections!

That's good advice :thumb: it also reduces the risk of them falling out later, compared to buying baby buns and hoping the hormones don't split them up before neutering.

as for free ranging all the time I cant offer them that, because not only do I have a cat I also have a fiesty 3 year old and my home is rented so im not willing to take any chances on anything getting damaged, the space they have enclosed is the right size and whenever were home they'll be able to free range the lounge, plus ill put them on the grass/concrete to help with nails after vaccs in the good weather! I've a lot of love to give and just because I cant let them free range 24/7 like many of you do doesnt mean I shouldnt get Rabbits right =)

as for the pellets ive already got Allen n page pellets ive heard they are some of the best and as for hay already ordered a bag from hay for pets (ive always used that website =) ) thanks for the advice =)

as for free ranging all the time I cant offer them that, because not only do I have a cat I also have a fiesty 3 year old and my home is rented so im not willing to take any chances on anything getting damaged, the space they have enclosed is the right size and whenever were home they'll be able to free range the lounge, plus ill put them on the grass/concrete to help with nails after vaccs in the good weather! I've a lot of love to give and just because I cant let them free range 24/7 like many of you do doesnt mean I shouldnt get Rabbits right =)

as for the pellets ive already got Allen n page pellets ive heard they are some of the best and as for hay already ordered a bag from hay for pets (ive always used that website =) ) thanks for the advice =)

Ahh good, no don't worry, if they have the 44sqft pen like you say then they will be fine with limited free-range time. Best for them to have a larger pen and less time out with a 3 year old anyway, many kids can scare and hurt bunnies without meaning to, especially if they try to pick them up.

Some bunnies will chew a lot and manage to cause damage even if supervised, so I'd get 2 adults that a rescue will be able to tell you the characters of and whether they are litter-trained and how much they chew their hutch, just to be on the safe side. I guess if worse comes to the worse, they can always go outside.

Just keep an eye on their weight with A&P, some rabbits lose condition on them. Oh I didn't realise it was that recent that you had rabbits, hay for pets haven't been around that long I don't think, I assumed you meant you hadn't kept buns for years! :lol:

ohh noo my last bun passed away last year - I say she died of a broken heart because her Sister Bun died a month or so before she had something wrong with her heart then my other bun seemed to be coping and I was thinking of going to a rescue for advice to bond with another bun so she wouldnt be alone, but I was too late, went out one morning and she would be always in her run in the corner looking waiting for me, but she wasn't there n immediately I knew something was wrong. =( I admit when I first got those 2 I wasn't as clued up as I am now on rabbits.. geez I learned alot in those first months (then they ended up with a huge shed and 7ft connected run) lol!!

Back