• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grunting

Elly

New Kit
Sorry guys - to all of you, this is probably common knowledge but I'm totally new to this!

Jasper is out in the house all the time when I'm home and follows me around like a little shadow ... but the last few days when he's running towards me he's grunting - have I got a happy or angry bunny on my hands!?

Thanks, Elly x

Hello, welcome to RU :wave:

Is Jasper neutered? it may be hormonal grunting?

No he hasn't but did speak to my vet about it today actually when he went for his jabs... She recommended he had it done so the spraying aspect so I will see if it makes a difference! X

I think it's probably hormonal.
On saying that though Biffy grunts when he's happy, he'll be running about binkying and you'll hear him do really high pitched grunts :lol:

Rabbits grunt for all sorts of reasons. Some are much more vocal than others. Generally when a bun follows you and makes a "honking" kind of noise, that is a hormonal/sexual grunt. Fiver used to do this when he hit sexual maturity, not for very long, since he was booked in to see the plumb fairy as soon as his man bits dropped! :lol:
Since being neutered he has been 100% litter trained (not even to poo outside the litter tray) and has never made that honking noise towards me, although he does it when he's about to hump his wifebun. :roll: Fiver is very vocal and grunts at just about everything, he has different grunts for different reason and he growls when he gets really annoyed. :lol:

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/ - This website was invaluable to me when I was learning about his behaviour. I suggest you give it a read and try out some of the techniques on communicating in bunny language! :thumb:

Back