• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice on spying/neutering a litter??

Hales1092

Warren Scout
Whats best?? Doing them all at once, or all boys, or all girls??? Doing with or without mum??

Advice would be appreciated??

In my humble opinion, I would get them done all at the same time and take the mum to the vets as well, thus keeping them in a bonded group. Also, if they are all done at the same time they will recover together and thus you won't have bunnies who aren't quite themselves being bothered by bunnies who are full of the joys of spring.

You could have Mum and the boys done as soon as they are old enough. Then wait until the girls are old enough. I think this is what I would do. This should mean you won't have to split them up. It won't be all plain sailing so be prepared for one or two problems. I had a boy from a group neutered and his sisters attacked him when I brought him home. They didn't recognise him. Good luck.

In my humble opinion, I would get them done all at the same time and take the mum to the vets as well, thus keeping them in a bonded group. Also, if they are all done at the same time they will recover together and thus you won't have bunnies who aren't quite themselves being bothered by bunnies who are full of the joys of spring.

That's what i was thinking, because i didn't want to separate some and then have to basically re-bond them all. Which would be such a hassle at the moment, as i am so busy!

You could have Mum and the boys done as soon as they are old enough. Then wait until the girls are old enough. I think this is what I would do. This should mean you won't have to split them up. It won't be all plain sailing so be prepared for one or two problems. I had a boy from a group neutered and his sisters attacked him when I brought him home. They didn't recognise him. Good luck.

Either way i'm sure i'll encounter a few problems! One of them is definitely going to be getting them all into my car! I just want to do it in a way so that there is the least amount of stress on mum and babies. :)

I'd already split mine from mum at about 10 weeks, had two brothers done together first, had four sisters done together about a month ago. Just need to get mum and dad bonded, then I'll have 3 separate groups :)

I don't think there is necessarily a 'right' or 'better' way. I rehomed half a litter and my vet suggeated doing all together to keep them as a group.

However I was already seeing dominance issues as they hit.puberty with my queen bee bullying my.quieter female. When Whisper (queen bee) didn't start eating as well as the others and I had to take her back in I only.tpok the other female, Pippin, because Bubbles (alpha male) had unpicked his stitches and had a cone on his head so it didn't feel fair to take the boys too... Even without that problem, spaying is a much more invasive surgery than castration and I found my boys.were humping the girls despite stitches and cones on heads so had split them anywY as that wasn't fair on the girls... So despite best intentions they were seperate but within sight for a while anyway (and went back together fine)

Bear in mind also that boys and girls mature at different rates and that for me that meant doing the girls a little.early. Even so its a fine margin and I believe I had a narrow escape from pregnancy. Do your research and talk to your vet as I believe giants mature at a different rate again.

Hope that helps a little xx

And sorry for typos- on my phone

That's what i was thinking, because i didn't want to separate some and then have to basically re-bond them all. Which would be such a hassle at the moment, as i am so busy!

I would do the boys and Mum first. They can be done earlier than the girls and you'll avoid any unwanted litters. I'd also consider how much time you would be able to give in the event of complications if you went for the "all at once" option.

Thanks for all the advice :)

I think i will either do them all at once, or do mum and boys first. Coz as you've said, i do not want more litters! I have a lot more on my plate now! We have Amber and Dumbo, booked in to the vets in May. So may put it off to get Amber done with her boys. :)

Back