• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing for Charlie

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
On top of his jaw bone infection (the abscess site for which is nearly healed) he devloped an abscess on the base of his ear last week. It's been lanced and we're treating a mild ear infection but my vet and I discussed that sirgery probably wasn't a great option (though he'd do it if I wanted him to) because the jaw hasn't healed brilliantly and we know he has a very resistant strain of pasturella so the chances of it working are very slim and very costly before we even start to think about whether its fair to put him through more surgery and more abscess flushing.

But yesterday he started sort of wheezing and snorting when grooming himself.

It's still upped respiratory tract, likely snuffles (saw vet today) so we're adding more abx to his list of meds...

He also has pus in the mouth again and signs of inflamation returning in the jaw bone. His ear abscess hasn't filled up though.

Am I doing the right thing not doing surgery? I so want him to have a long happy life and give him a chance but there is just so much I don't know that its fair to put him through more. He's already had three surgeries for his teeth/ bone infection. I thought I might have more time and I'm scared by how much has changed this week. He's still happy right now, though grinding his teeth a little more.

The vet gave me the option today again (for surgery) and it's just started me worrying that I'm quitting too soon

Last edited:
Sorry I have no words of wisdom but just wanted to say I'm thinking of you as I know how hard it is to make these decisions.

I'm sure somebody will be able to offer some advice.x.x.

So sorry :cry: I know how hard it is to make a decision like this, as I had to make a decision with Pebbles when he had molar issues, enlarged heart and not eating. Should I have attempted to prolong his life, knowing he would have to go through major surgery? I went by the fact that the spark had gone from Pebbles' eyes and the fact he hated being syringed his medications (something that would have continued for the rest of his life). It broke my heart to let him go, but it was the best thing for him.

However hard it is, only you can make the decision. You know your bun, and how he has responded to treatment in the past. How do you think he will cope with ongoing flare-ups of abcesses and bone infections? From my experience of root abssess and bone infection (though it was a long time ago) antibiotics struggle to work, though there may be stronger ones now.

Whatever decision you do make, it will me tough so big {{{{hugs}}}}

Last edited:
:cry:

whatever you decide you have no reason to feel guilty at all ... you have already done far, far more than many people would have . Charlie is very lucky to have you as his mummy .

I cant tell you what to do ...I don't know what I would do if it was one of my own buns ...its difficult knowing how much to put them through ..

what I will say is ...it sounds like it may be the same infection that is popping up in lots of different places and it may be that even with surgery he wont be able to fight it off because it could already be ready to pop up somewhere else.:(
Not that im saying don't do it ... Im just saying don't feel bad for not doing ..

im waffling ... sorry :(:(

realy wish I could help .:?

what I will say is ...it sounds like it may be the same infection that is popping up in lots of different places and it may be that even with surgery he wont be able to fight it off because it could already be ready to pop up somewhere else.:(

Thank you both. I think that this ^^ is what I'm worried about, and it seems likely given that thats two popped up close together.

think in reality I need to be prepared to stop. I won't rule surgery out until I see what the snuffles does and whether we can kick that but in reality, in the past 11 weeks he has had:

molar extraction
2 surgeries on his jaw abscess
tear ducts flushed repeatedly (eye still has a mild infection- it comes and goes but never stays away as it weeps and gets eye bogies intermittently)
an ear infection
an abscess at the base of his ear

And now it looks like the jaw bone infection is starting to flare up again.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was every 6 months, but every 2-3 months if it continues like this probably isn't fair... I could go on indefinitely with oral meds and injections but the abscess flushing he hates :(

Hoping for a miracle...

Last edited:
I've made the same decision with Smoo for more antibiotics and not to do the surgery. I don't see the point when I know hers will either come back or she'll just get more. I'd rather just keep her happy than put her through loads of surgery. If you think it's the right thing for Charlie then you've made the right descision. Loads of hugs, I know exactly what you're going through right now. x

I've made the same decision with Smoo for more antibiotics and not to do the surgery. I don't see the point when I know hers will either come back or she'll just get more. I'd rather just keep her happy than put her through loads of surgery. If you think it's the right thing for Charlie then you've made the right descision. Loads of hugs, I know exactly what you're going through right now. x

Thanks Jen. It's sad that you've had to make the same decision but at the same time it gives me a little more confidence in mine...

I find it such a hard thing to say/do when he clearly has so mich zest for life tho.

What abx has Smoo got now? Have you had a culture done?

Thanks Jen. It's sad that you've had to make the same decision but at the same time it gives me a little more confidence in mine...

I find it such a hard thing to say/do when he clearly has so mich zest for life tho.

Smoo was on penicillin injections every three days but they didn't seem to be doing anything. My really good vet suggested engimycin but this has to be injected every day. Smoo gets very stressed with injections so I've opted to try metranidazole and baytril for a couple of weeks first. I don't really have loads of confidence they'll do anything but it's worth trying first.

I haven't had a culture done and thinking about it, that might be the next logical step if these don't do anything. However she would have to come off antibiotics first for a week to do that. Have you had one done?

We did... Unfortunately nothing was especially effective. The only one that had any effect did very little really, but its what we're using. I suspect its slowing things down but not making better...

I didn't realise there had to be a 1 week break tho. I know we had a break but can't remember for how long. Will chat to the vet...

Just wanted to send my empathy. I'm don't know if I should be continuing treatment with Furby - trying to make the 'right' decision is so incredibly difficult.

Sending you and Charlie lots of strength and love xxxx

Just wanted to send my empathy. I'm don't know if I should be continuing treatment with Furby - trying to make the 'right' decision is so incredibly difficult.

Sending you and Charlie lots of strength and love xxxx

Thank you. I'm sorry Furby is still unwell . Sending him lots of live and vibes too xx

Back