• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new bun help please

miss c

Young Bun
Hi I dont post on here often but I got a new 8week old bun today for my 7year old birthday, hes been desperate for his own a while and id like to pair 1of my girl buns up in the near future soon as the boys been done so I thought its win win.
But it keeps nipping I saw him nibble my mums jacked when we were looking but thought he was just exploring but I sat him my knee and he bit my trousers and while on my little boys knee he bit his arm.
So ive never had this problem with a baby rabbit biteing before and woundered why he does it? ive left him to settel & only got him out for 5mins just so my boy could see him..
Now im stuck what to do I love his colour but i was torn between him and his brother and the lady was really nice and said I colud come back if I changed my mind and now I dont know what to do for the best!
Im really stuck so some advice on his behavior or if you think I should take his brother instead would be greatly appreaciated! Oh and we didnt have the other rabbit smells on us incase that makes a difference.
Thanks

Hi there and hello to your new arrival :D

Firstly because he is in a new environment he is probably pretty stressed so I would contribute some of the biting to that.

Other than that I would suggest it is because he has not yet been castrated (because he is currently too young) and so he has a tendancy to bite. That does not necessarily mean he will do it forever. I have four bunnies, three have never bitten but one always has.

Rabbits aren't cuddly-cuddly all of the time.

I am sure he will settle down and once he is old enough to be castrated will probably become a lovely little boy.

He is probably quite scared of his new surroundings and owners and his best defence mechanism is his teeth. Give him plenty of time to settle in, say about 3 weeks, don't handle him unless it is absolutely essential and allow him to feel more confident in his new home. Make sure your 7 yr old understands you have to respect his feelings and always be very kind to him and then he will become a lovely pet.

How hard is he biting? Did he draw blood? If not, he may have just been trying to groom you and may not have realised it hurt. When he was a baby, one of my rabbits used to nibble when he groomed us and it was quite painful.

If it is aggressive, it could be fear or anxiety about being in a new place and the advice above is good. There's also some useful advice about dealing with aggressive rabbits here: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/biting_hand_may_05.pdf

Thanks sorry for very late relpy the with the baby a 7year old and rabbits it doesnt leave much computer time!!!!
Well i think he might be a biter lol, hes still biteing and quite hard so i handel him with my coat on!
So hes a very nervy bun and i wasnt sure what to do so the next day i got the lady to drop the last boy over while i kept they grey on a 2week trial ;) and their so close so when my partner saw them snuggeled up he says oh just keep them both before going in muttering someting about being over taken by rabbits :lol: so i did!
their 12weeks i think now i can pet him hes more confident with his brother around so its helped he runs away when on his own but follows his brother everywhere who loves a fuss so can usually give grey 1 a little stroke at same time. but hes always hanging around at the back ready to run and when i get them out to put in the run on the grass he usually has a couple of good nips or will kind of bite hold of and pull my coat! But doesnt stuggle while being held which is odd so im not sure what to make of him.

They have an amazing close bond at the mo so whens the earlest i can get them done i would love to keep them together but i know 2males can start fighting so i want to get them done asap i looked on the net and found lots of conflicting answers!
How likely is it they will get on as adults?
they did have 1small fight last week my bonded pair were loose in the garden and went up to their hutch sniffing then suddenly i had 2fights happening my bonded pair in the middle of the garden and the babies in their hutch! thankfully both fights were small and i blocked off the babies while they have been out since then but why did it happen??? it was a shock!
thanks in advance i usually get to have a quick read of the posts on here but dont get chance to make posts and excuse my spelling lol its 12.50am and im feeding baby with 1hand and typing with other multitasking at its best! :)

Back