• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

climbing plants

Roses are fine. There are lots available. You could also look at grape vines (outdoor ones) or thornless bramble for permanent planting. Cut back hard in Autumn. All edible. You would need to protect the base of the stems from bunny teeth, though eg. a cage of chicken wire or weldmesh round the bottom 2'.

For annual plants, how about runner beans (ones with different colour flowers are pretty) or ordinary peas? They would need some sort of support - canes, wire or mesh. Not sure about sweet peas, but I feed the stems and leaves of peas and beans from the allotment to the bunnies.

They cannot grow as fast as they are eaten....
you could grow raspberries or blackberries but they will eat all of it in one day.

Better find some willows in your neighbourhood and take scissors every once in a while :lol:

Normal edible peas would be fine, sweet peas are poisonous so best avoided. Nasturtiums would be a good one.

If you plant on the outside and allow 18" of safety eg put a bit of clear perspex between bunnies and plants, they you shouldn't have trouble with them eating it.

Another option would be bamboo, you can get some that grows 4-5' tall - I've some in a long planter next to my aviary and it doesn't matter if the odd branch pokes through but it won't wind around the wires where they can chop through it.

Back