• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apple branches

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone,

Forget drugs... Ludo has got an addiction to apple branches.

We've been building him up (delicate tummy) and he seems fine with them and his hay-eating hasn't suffered.

How many apple branches in a day would people say is too many? He's got really long pieces and he's at 2 a day at the mo.

If I cut down the tree and brought it in he'd eat it...

There isn't too many, just stick to the twigs not the very large old branches, cos there's long spinable fibre in the large old branches & they can't chew it up properly.
Don't worry about it. Ludo's found out what keeps her tummy moving.:D I bet you have some huge round poops soon.:D

Thumper did actually demolish an old apple tree in about 3 months in the earlier days of his tummy troubles.
Benjie eats large amounts too, but prefers hawthorn.

There isn't too many, just stick to the twigs not the very large old branches, cos there's long spinable fibre in the large old branches & they can't chew it up properly.
Don't worry about it. Ludo's found out what keeps her tummy moving.:D I bet you have some huge round poops soon.:D

Thumper did actually demolish an old apple tree in about 3 months in the earlier days of his tummy troubles.
Benjie eats large amounts too, but prefers hawthorn.

Thanks Thumps!

We don't have any very big old branches so that's great. I'll let him keep eating. Not sure it'll help the apple harvest though! :lol:

Thanks Thumps!

We don't have any very big old branches so that's great. I'll let him keep eating. Not sure it'll help the apple harvest though! :lol:

Sorry, it won't help the apples this year,:( but next year you'll get loads of fruiting spurs.:D

If you live close to the country you can try him on hawthorn. Some hasn't many thorns, but the leaves are very young just now & need to be introduced very slowly. We shouldn't give the buds or flowers, cos a heart medicine is made from them. The occasional missed one won't do any harm though.

I'm probably having a "senior moment" but think Ludo may have had tummy trouble. Many of us find that safe twigs & tree leaves are invaluable in keeping their tummy moving. Our bunnies know when to eat them too, before there are any signs of trouble.

Sorry, it won't help the apples this year,:( but next year you'll get loads of fruiting spurs.:D

If you live close to the country you can try him on hawthorn. Some hasn't many thorns, but the leaves are very young just now & need to be introduced very slowly. We shouldn't give the buds or flowers, cos a heart medicine is made from them. The occasional missed one won't do any harm though.

I'm probably having a "senior moment" but think Ludo may have had tummy trouble. Many of us find that safe twigs & tree leaves are invaluable in keeping their tummy moving. Our bunnies know when to eat them too, before there are any signs of trouble.

I'll look out for hawthorn.

Ludo has indeed got tummy trouble. He's very sensitive and is on a strictly controlled diet. He can just about take pellets but only a tiny amount, the rest of his diet is lots of veg and forage and lots and lots of hay (and apple branches!). I was worried he'd have stasis a lot, but fingers crossed, I seem to have learnt to interpret his poo enough to stop it before it happens. He's absolutely forbidden cereals.

I'll look out for hawthorn.

Ludo has indeed got tummy trouble. He's very sensitive and is on a strictly controlled diet. He can just about take pellets but only a tiny amount, the rest of his diet is lots of veg and forage and lots and lots of hay (and apple branches!). I was worried he'd have stasis a lot, but fingers crossed, I seem to have learnt to interpret his poo enough to stop it before it happens. He's absolutely forbidden cereals.

My heart goes out to anyone with a bunny with tummy troubles.
Thumper was amazing in knowing what to eat before he had any signs of tummy trouble. So I also watched what he was eating.
A few of us have also noticed that they drink less when they are beginning to get slow down.
I don't know why, but woody fibre, lignin, seems to be particularly helpful in preventing relapses.

Best of all is blackthorn leaves. It's usually part of a hedge round here & easily located just now because it has white flowers before the leaves come out & huge thorns on the previous years growth.
Neither Thumper nor Benjie will touch the leaves until the fruits (sloes) are fully ripe -black with a whitish bloom which is mid Aug/beginning of Sept here. Fortunately the new growth is about 8" long & thornless!! It's deciduous so it's a short gathering season for a year's supply.
Thumper literally ate them fresh by the armfull. :shock:
I've noticed that wildies eat every single sapling, & fallen leaf but don't touch other fallen leaves.

Unfortunately a member put it out that they contain cyanide. As in all stone fruits, there is a small amount of cyanide in the stone of the fruit, but none at all in the leaves in Autumn.
We aren't feeding our buns the sloes!!!
They are a mild GI propulsive agent, but my vet & I think that they work because of the tannin content which seems to an ideal level for stabilising the gut microorganisms.
Because tannins also bind iron, I do not advise it as a regular feed, but for medicinal purposes only, for up to 2 months continuously - then give a break. Like us, rabbits have good iron stores.

As Tamsin says Brambles are also good, & were used when I was younger, as the only way to treat caecal dysbiosis.

There is an old thread where "tummy bunny mummies" describe the forage most helpful for their buns. You might find it helpful for some ideas. My vet Marie Kubiak started to use forage for buns hospitalised with stasis after seeing what Thumper ate after a dental. She comments on the thread too.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ried-given-your-stasis-prone-buns-tree-leaves.
I hope you find this helpful.

Back