• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do you trim bunnies nails???

Patrick is a little terror when it comes to nail trimming. Even my vet struggles. I've found the only way is to attempt a bunny burrito with a towel (have a look on youtube) but most importantly, to take him out of 'his territory' i.e. living room and bedroom and do it in the bathroom. He tends to struggle less there. Even in a burrito he manages to stress far too much and wriggle so I have to hold him firmly in between my legs or with his hinds tucked under my arm so to speak. It can take a few attempts over a few hours/days to get all his nails!

Patrick is a little terror when it comes to nail trimming. Even my vet struggles. I've found the only way is to attempt a bunny burrito with a towel (have a look on youtube) but most importantly, to take him out of 'his territory' i.e. living room and bedroom and do it in the bathroom. He tends to struggle less there. Even in a burrito he manages to stress far too much and wriggle so I have to hold him firmly in between my legs or with his hinds tucked under my arm so to speak. It can take a few attempts over a few hours/days to get all his nails!

haha, and by the time you have finished the last one the first one needs doing again :)

Haha! Pretty much! Or I've fainted from blood loss from the struggle!

Have to get myself some chainmail!

Sit them on your knee, grip them tight and clip the nails as fast as possible, the longer you put pressure on the nail the more likely they are to struggle and end up getting hurt

This video demonstrates various holds; but I'm not sure if there is some trancing going on.
When I lay my bunny upside-down in my lap, she is usually very busy grooming herself - but it is many years since I cut her nails.
My hands are not strong enough, which is a pity since she always behaves so nicely for me.

I think the trick to cutting claws is to be really quick with the snip. This stops the nail over-bending and hurting.
If we were both nine years younger I think we would try the Spaghetti Training.

Last edited:
I want to get some clippers like my vet has! They're amazing.. We take Donny and Lola to the vets to have theirs done, when at the vets my usually boisterous, in your face pair freeze up and behave themselves so clipping them is simple! If I did them at home ... :shock: I did them once.. never again :lol:

Poppy just sits there and lets you get on with it.

Leo tries to run off but his handling experience was rough and with welding gloves.. so it's understandable he doesn't want to sit still. His claws grow so fast so it's a good job he's getting used to it :lol:

Back