• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metacam Dosage

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

I've been told by my vet to give 4 drops once daily to Molly for her sore hocks. Now, in the past, I'm sure she had more than this for hock issues, and it was measured in mls. I can't remember how much it was.

I know people say consult your vet before changing the dosage. But I've asked them to have another look at the dose as I think it's too small, and they say it's correct. What should I do?

If its the 1.5mg per ml then the dose is generally 0.4ml per kg of bunny.
So 0.8ml for your wee lass.
I would ask the vet if that translates as the same as the 4 drops they prescribed before you go changing it.

There's a thread recently on the metacam dosages I'll try find for you, im on my phone so I may be slowww.

If its the 1.5mg per ml then the dose is generally 0.4ml per kg of bunny.
So 0.8ml for your wee lass.
I would ask the vet if that translates as the same as the 4 drops they prescribed before you go changing it.

There's a thread recently on the metacam dosages I'll try find for you, im on my phone so I may be slowww.

wow, that's loads. I've tried to get some idea of how much 4 drops is, and I think its about 0.2ml on the syringe.

wow, that's loads. I've tried to get some idea of how much 4 drops is, and I think its about 0.2ml on the syringe.

That'd be right and its really low.

Rabbits metabolise it so quickly 0.2ml won't scratch anything, in my opinion.

Ginger can have 0.6ml twice daily if she needs it and at a push, another 0.4ml if really needed in any 24 hour period.

So many vets don't understand that rabbits can have MUCH higher doses than dogs.

Metacam given in drops is 0.05mg per drop.
So to get 0.6mg that would be 12 drops.

The dose 0.6mg per kg of bunny.
(0.4ml contains 0.6mg)

So dosing in drops she should be getting more like 24 drops.

Deffo speak to your better vet.

yep that's correct its actually a little less that 0.2ml.
Gosh your vet gave a miniscule dose!

Eta: :lol: so many numbers I've given myself a headache.. :p

That'd be right and its really low.

Rabbits metabolise it so quickly 0.2ml won't scratch anything, in my opinion.

Ginger can have 0.6ml twice daily if she needs it and at a push, another 0.4ml if really needed in any 24 hour period.

So many vets don't understand that rabbits can have MUCH higher doses than dogs.

so should I increase the dosage, even though its against a vet opinion? I've already asked them saying its too low, but they say its correct, so I can't ask again. The vet we usually see for Molly who is excellent with rabbits isn't available until next week so can't ask her.

so should I increase the dosage, even though its against a vet opinion? I've already asked them saying its too low, but they say its correct, so I can't ask again. The vet we usually see for Molly who is excellent with rabbits isn't available until next week so can't ask her.

If your vet won't authorise it, I would personally seek a second opinion from another vet.

if you increased it to 0.8ml then you wouldn't be doing her any harm you'd be giving the correct dosage.
Can you ask on here for a good vet recomendation for a bubby savvy vet to give advice to the non bunny savvy vet you've been seeing?

Back