• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

nibbling question

Jens

New Kit
ok so like i said before i've never had an indoor bunny and she hasnt arrived yet but i was wondering at what speed do they go to nibble stuff? i have chinchillas and they are very fasst so they run up to something take a big bite straight away so you have no time to shoo them or stop them. are bunnys the same or do the sniff before they bite? thanks :D

Depends on the bun and what it is...if it's pellets or wires, then they bite straight away. Hand feeding pellets to Bugsy is risky..he would have my finger off as he is so fast and excited, whereas poppy and Chloe are much more gentle. However all of them wil snip a wire in seconds..without you even seeing :lol:

oh that does sound risky ha ha ur poor fingers! ok thanks! chinchillas tend to grab a bit of skirting board normally i'll be just as strict about hiding wire when she is out but at least she cant squeeze through ridiculously small gaps! =P

I agree, it depends on the personality of the rabbit aswell. Millie explores everything with her teeth so within seconds of it being in reach she'll be trying to chew it whereas everyone else are more creep upto it and sniff bunnies. Then there's humbug who will run upto it but then if he can't eat it he's not interested :roll: :lol:

I'm not sure if it's just me being docile or if it's the bunnies being sneaky but sometimes I don't even realise they're chewing the skirting boards/walls, because they don't make a sound, until I look over and they're surrounded by wood/wallpaper :lol:

I'm not sure if it's just me being docile or if it's the bunnies being sneaky but sometimes I don't even realise they're chewing the skirting boards/walls, because they don't make a sound, until I look over and they're surrounded by wood/wallpaper :lol:

oh no ha ha just tell people its designer wallpaper and custom carved skirting =P

Lady Jane lives in my room - she has to have a large Boudoir, and comes out to free range when I'm there to supervise - she can strip wallpaper, take a lump out of skirting boards and bite through cables in seconds! She loves chewing books, bedclothes, boxes - anything that is reachable is legally hers to chew! (apart from toys....bunny toys are just boring :roll::lol:)

oh that does sound risky ha ha ur poor fingers! ok thanks! chinchillas tend to grab a bit of skirting board normally i'll be just as strict about hiding wire when she is out but at least she cant squeeze through ridiculously small gaps! =P

I wouldn't bet on that .... :lol:

ok so like i said before i've never had an indoor bunny and she hasnt arrived yet but i was wondering at what speed do they go to nibble stuff? i have chinchillas and they are very fasst so they run up to something take a big bite straight away so you have no time to shoo them or stop them. are bunnys the same or do the sniff before they bite? thanks :D

If you have chinchillas, bunnies are a breeze. ;)

I think bunnies can do larger amounts of damage but only because they're bigger. They're not as fast in general and I think you can tell when a rabbit is going to do something when you learn their body language (takes a while to learn though) but chinchillas are sneaky. :lol:

I think of rabbits as toddlers and chinchillas as six year olds.

Cardboard forts tend to stop mine chewing anything they shouldn't, I just collect boxes and make my own. Good cheap fun. Also a rabbit's main diet (like chinchillas) should be hay. They are used to eating all day as it's low calorie food. If you give them too many pellets or too much veg they get full up, however their body still tells them they need to eat and that's when they usually eat your stuff like walls and carpet. Obviously some bunnies are just naughty. ;)

I wouldn't bet on that .... :lol:

Oh no, you just wouldn't understand unless you'd had chinnies. Think of about a three centimeter gap, you think there is no way they'll fit through there, but it's all fluff! We call it squeezeling, where they squash themselves through the tiniest of gaps just to get where they're not allowed. :lol:

thanks everyone! really helpful! i cant wait to get her it keeps getting delayed!

Jenova so you chinnies get on with ur bunny or do you run them separately? :D

thanks everyone! really helpful! i cant wait to get her it keeps getting delayed!

Jenova so you chinnies get on with ur bunny or do you run them separately? :D

Thye get on okay, but I would never have them out together. Chinnies are quite delicate and rabbits can kick very hard, so could kill a chinchilla without meaning too. Rabbits flick their feet when they're happy, annoyed etc and if one of the chinchills just happened to be in the wrong place it could be bad. I know some people who do let them play together without any issues though. :wave:

Back