• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First Intro TOTAL disaster :(

Schtoffen

Mama Doe
Not only have I had one of the worst days of my life for ages in other areas today, I attempted a first meeting between Little and Newbun this evening. We cordenered off a small area of the corridor which nobunny has been in before. For the first 20 seconds it was good, they ignored each-other. But then after a few cautionary nips they kicked off. They were only fighting for 3 - 5 seconds before I pulled them apart but I've never seen anything like it....it was so viscous and newbuns fur was everywhere. One lump of fur had skin on it :cry::cry:

I should have known I was tempting rate by saying "It can't possibly go worse than my last bond", this one looks totally hopeless.

oh no I'm sorry to hear that... Bonding bunnies is a total nightmare and not to be taken lightly, especially with the damage they can do..

Can anyone bond them for you?

Have had a glass or two and feel a lot calmer. Lots of stressful stuff happened today including my mum having her cancer operation so I was feeling emotional anyways.

Having said that it was an awful fight. It's so hard to know how many times to put them through it before giving up. I hate seeing him get hurt, but I know that eventually they probably get on. Poor love he's so sweet and nervous :cry::cry:

Maybe trying another day when you are less fraught.... Good luck for your Mum

Fee xxx

Oh no how awful :cry: maybe you need to take it really slowly then, and have them living in adjacent pens, swapping litter trays etc. It might take a long time but it would be better than somebun getting injured. Hope you're ok xxx

Might be worth trying a completely different area like the garden. My first bond started with a fight, even though it was in my room where none had been before. Next time I did it outside one in a pen and let them get used to each other every day like that. It worked brilliantly.

Also do it on a day where you havn't had a lot to deal with already!!
It's stressful enough as it is. *hugs* you'll get there lovely xxx

eta: every bunny bond is different. xxx

I hope so....it was quite a bad bite by the looks of it but he won't let me get near enough to check him over and if I try he gets so stressed he lays down and quivers....

I think he's having a hard time adjusting to the temperature change....he lived indoors at the rescue but it was more or a shed so not as warm as a house.

I think I'm going to have to try an even smaller space...which is terrifying as, if they do kick off again, it'll be even harder to get them apart.

There was one heart stopping moment when they both ran into the pet carrier!! Jack and I thought they'd immediately have an awful fight but they were totally still, or at least, stuck....

Our two were EVIL to each other to start with! And it lasted weeks before they chilled out!
When we were bonding them in the bath, I used to take a plastic chopping board upstairs with me to put between them when they went for each other. (And pellets to distract them!). It seemed to work quite well.
Good luck, I'm sure they will be friends in no time :)

Try taking them out a wee run in the carrier in the car? then when you come back in use a very small space like 4 puppy pen panels and gradualy increase the size while also taking them out car runs when they act a wee bit funny .
xxxxx

I notice that people suggest that their hidey places have 2 entrances so that they don't get cornered. Maybe exchange the carrier for an upside down cardboard box with two doorways cut in to it... Best of luck. Isn't it great having all this expertise in one place?

Bonding bunnies is always stressful for us as owners and on many occasions also for the bunnies.

However please don't give up just yet. Patience can pay off and having had quite a few problems in bonding my two, Estelle and Frankie, they are now very much in luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve.

Fingers crossed they will bond.:thumb:

Back