• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This is so stressful

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
Milly still has sore hocks. They do improve with treatment so that isn't the real problem. The problem is having to handle her :(
She's just kicked me in the face and shoulder and cut me for picking her up and giving her meds, and she's now so stressed about it that she's flopped in the corner of their pen. I feel so bad for doing this to her, but there's no other way. Her and Charlie won't come near me, they run straight back in the pen if I so much as stand up and now I'm worried that she's going to be ill from being stressed out but I can't get her feet better without handling her.

Rabbits are such hard work :(

I'm sorry you are struggling with this. :( My Spenser does not like being handled, but he is better than he used to be. Not everyone would agree with me, but I think it is in a rabbit's best interests to tolerate handling, so my advice would be to pick her up from time to time even when she has finished the medication course.

I'm sorry you are struggling with this. :( My Spenser does not like being handled, but he is better than he used to be. Not everyone would agree with me, but I think it is in a rabbit's best interests to tolerate handling, so my advice would be to pick her up from time to time even when she has finished the medication course.

I've always thought so too :thumb: Misty was very calm so tolerated bum washes well. She decided to sit in squished poo one day and I picked her up for a bum check and it was all stuck in her fur, gently washed it away. She didn't necessarily like it but she didn't wriggle and struggle.
Its always good to get them used to it :thumb: I suppose some rabbits will always but wriggle bums though how ever much they're handled x

I have very great sympathy for you.
I always say "all over" when treating him is finished.
Benjie runs off & turns his back on me if I "interfere" with him. I give him about 5 secs then slowly walk up to him & tickle his tail to make him turn round, then give him lots of nose rubs in appeasement for what I've just done.

I have heard that Bach's flower remedy - aspen leaf - helps calm animals down when handled sometimes without sedation.
TBH I can't see how it works, but at least it's impossible to overdose it, & it mixes with all medicines.
Maybe worth a try?

I have very great sympathy for you.
I always say "all over" when treating him is finished.
Benjie runs off & turns his back on me if I "interfere" with him. I give him about 5 secs then slowly walk up to him & tickle his tail to make him turn round, then give him lots of nose rubs in appeasement for what I've just done.

I have heard that Bach's flower remedy - aspen leaf - helps calm animals down when handled sometimes without sedation.
TBH I can't see how it works, but at least it's impossible to overdose it, & it mixes with all medicines.
Maybe worth a try?

I hadn't heard of this, but I'll have a look in to it. Thanks.

Sadly Milly hates nose rubs, strokes or anything affectionate or nice I could do to make the whole situation better. She doesn't hate people, when she was free range she'd choose to sleep in my bed with me every night... She just hates being touched. It's a nightmare for meds. It's starting to upset Charlie too, he sulks for a good 15 minutes once I've medicated her.

Back