• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Runaround questions

Jolysium

Mama Doe
As soon as I can afford it I'm planning to order a runaround system for the bunnies. Can anyone who knows about it or has it already answer these questions for me please? :)

1. Is the larger size of tunnel (I think it said 5.5in) going to be suitable for Harrison? It sounds tiny and he's quite a big bunny.
20130417_182711.jpg

2. Do the mesh tunnels / boxes have mesh floors or do I need to attach something to them to stop bunnies digging out / predators digging in?

3. Which do you think bunnies would prefer, wider tunnels or higher tunnels?

Thanks for any help you can give me, I'm sure there'll be more questions down the line!

Hi, I have a runaround pipe and door but not the tunnels so can't really comment on them! I thought the pipes sounded tiny aswell but I got the 4.5" (I think!) and it's fine for my bunnies, although they may be smaller than yours. They r based on the size of natural rabbit burrows, rabbits can fit down surprisingly small holes as I found out once when I lost Summer (who was overweight at the time) down a burrow she'd dug! Maybe email runaround and ask them what they recommend? I emailed them over something and they're really friendly and helpful :thumb: As for the tunnels, I think (and a lot of people seem to think...) that they're a bit overpriced. I think u can get tunnel bases that u put under the grass so they can't dig out. It's probably unlikely a rabbit would start digging in such a small space but whether u take the chance is another matter, I don't think I could! There was a thread the other week of an 'amazing set up' and they'd made their own tunnels using corrugated plastic, looked brilliant, I'll try and find the thread if u didn't c it. Or u could prob easily make ur own mesh tunnels using the really strong mesh panels u can buy. Ooh that's a lot of opinions on the tunnels I said I couldn't comment on :lol: :oops: I can def recommend the pipes and doors tho, well worth the money :D

Hi, I've got the Run around connection kit 1 for both my setups. My original pair Apricot and Ginger love it and race up and down at a right pace, they are lion heads about 8 months old so they aren't huge rabbits though. When we first got it I thought theyd not fit down or only just fit but they love it! Dandy and Beano haven't tried it yet because I only got them the other day and they are still getting used to their hutch! I found runaround very helpful and gave good advice, not just advice wanting me to spend more which was nice :lol: They say any rabbit up to 4kg would be expected to fit down the burrow pipes. I don't know what all the other mesh tunnels and boxes are like.

I used runaround pipe (cut it in half) to connect hutch to run. I had it in lounge for a while last autumn for Cookie to try and she would never go down it. However, as soon as we had installed it, she shot down with no problem. She is a medium size bunny, quite chunky. Runaround are really good at replying to queries, however.

As soon as I can afford it I'm planning to order a runaround system for the bunnies. Can anyone who knows about it or has it already answer these questions for me please? :)

1. Is the larger size of tunnel (I think it said 5.5in) going to be suitable for Harrison? It sounds tiny and he's quite a big bunny.
20130417_182711.jpg

2. Do the mesh tunnels / boxes have mesh floors or do I need to attach something to them to stop bunnies digging out / predators digging in?

3. Which do you think bunnies would prefer, wider tunnels or higher tunnels?

Thanks for any help you can give me, I'm sure there'll be more questions down the line!

How heavy is Harrison? N&T are quite big lops (2.9kg each, ish), but if they're not bigger than about 4kg they will fit down the standard sized pipe no problem. I had so many concerns about it and it culminated in runaround sending me a sample tube. I tried for weeks to get them to go down the tunnel but they refused until I plopped them in a box with the tube as the only exit. They went through no problem! N&T use their runaround about 50 times a day and they never have any problems at all.

The mesh tunnels and boxes don't have mesh floors. They do do these http://www.runaround.co.uk/products/mesh-skirt to put in the tubes/cubes.

I think your bunnies would be fine with the normal ones, and it prevents you having to hash together a more expensive setup. In terms of fun bits though, their bunnies seem to enjoy the high pipe and I know a lot of people bury some pipes under grass mounds for fun. I find N&T aren't overly impressed by tunnels anymore. I think you'd find having the one or two tunnels that you need for their setup will probably quench their tunnel thirst, and if they do want a tunnel they'd probably enjoy a crinkly one or a fabric one. N&T won't use the runaround tunnels for fun inside the run. I think they're slightly too small to be used for fun... ie, their wiggling causes the tube to wriggle and it seems to annoy them. However, when attached it obviously doesn't roll all over the place like it does when it's just 'loose'! If you got a bigger one it'd solve that problem, but I don't know if they'd be interested in it? Maybe worth a try!

Thanks very much, that's very helpful! Yaretzi, sounds like your bunnies are bigger than Harrison, think he's about 2.5kg so should be no problem. Also today he managed to squeeze under a bookcase that I would never have thought he could get under, so I'm not as concerned now! :lol:

my belgian hares are big rabbits- must be over 3 and half kg . they adore their runarround tunnel that connects their run /hutch combo with the greenhouse. The company sent me a little sample piece of tunnel too and it was helpful as made it clear that although they looked a tight fit the rabbits could navigate it with ease.

my belgian hares are big rabbits- must be over 3 and half kg . they adore their runarround tunnel that connects their run /hutch combo with the greenhouse. The company sent me a little sample piece of tunnel too and it was helpful as made it clear that although they looked a tight fit the rabbits could navigate it with ease.

I love belgian hares. do you have any pics anywhere on here? - sorry to hijack your thread

Love your photos of your BH's , I have just bought a runaround tube to connect my run and hutch. Currently installing it but now have to wait for the bf to get home as its hard to screw both sides of the doors on your own! I am going to get my bun bonded on Saturday and one of the buns I am considering is a giant cross. She's currently still a youngster so not fully grown. However I am worried she may outgrow the tubes! I was interested to see your Belgian hares can use them how large are they? They expect the giant cross to get to about 4kg. It would be a shame if I had to modify my set up again!!

I've not weighed my belgians as they are not cuddly rabbits who like being picked up but having just been outside and looked at them affresh i think they must be at least 4kg..

Installed the tube this afternoon, it made him go crazy for a little while! Running up and down it over and over. It's currently attached to the old run so that he can try it out, while he's waiting for his new wooden and welded mesh one, as requested by the rescue center.
The hutch in the background covered up is an old one which I am currently trying to sell on eBay!

Installed the tube this afternoon, it made him go crazy for a little while! Running up and down it over and over. It's currently attached to the old run so that he can try it out, while he's waiting for his new wooden and welded mesh one, as requested by the rescue center.
The hutch in the background covered up is an old one which I am currently trying to sell on eBay!

I'm glad your two enjoy it! Mine love theirs even 2 years on :love:

That looks great:thumb:
thinking about getting this for my two who are in hutches, but can't decide whether to buy the Runaround runs or just get the tubes and get runs elsewhere? Although their prices for the run I looked at seemed competitive?

That looks great:thumb:
thinking about getting this for my two who are in hutches, but can't decide whether to buy the Runaround runs or just get the tubes and get runs elsewhere? Although their prices for the run I looked at seemed competitive?

The runaround runs are so expensive! I'm sure they are very good, but its nice and easy to attach the tubes and doors to a normal cheaper run!

That's what I need to connect my 2 runs.... do you mind if I ask how much it cost? x

I've not weighed my belgians as they are not cuddly rabbits who like being picked up but having just been outside and looked at them affresh i think they must be at least 4kg..

Also, do they just use the tubes, or do they have the green door attached to them aswell?

heres a few pics of my beligians using their tunnel- they are i think a little bit bigger then when these photos were taken

Wow! Are these the standard size doors? I think they do a slightly bigger one if requested. I suppose they are a lot slimmer than other large breeds. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Back