• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Decided I am gonna try bonding Herbie myself - advice please x

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
After reading some positive bonding threads on here I have decided that I am gonna try it myself.

I am back from Iceland on 13th May, and all going well I will go down to the spca and pick up Herbies new friend the next day. I am off work on the Thursday before so was thinking of going down to meet said bunny to check she doesnt hate me, and then hopefully they will reserve her for me. I will also ask if I can take Herbie with me on the day that I am picking her up and see if I can have them meet for a wee while before I leave with her.

I have ordered a puppy pen this morning. Plan is to set that up in a different room to the one Herbie is in just now. Put the two buns in the pen for a couple of days in neutral room. Clean & bleach out Herbie (& Inca's :() room & stuff.....move the puppy pen into Herbies (& new buns) room after a couple of days, but still keep them in the pen, and then gradually increase the space.....does that sound OK to the bonding experts out there, or should I do anything different?

Thing would be that I have to go back to work two days after, so would it be ok to leave them alone do you think....or is that just a wait and see / judge later type thing?

After reading some positive bonding threads on here I have decided that I am gonna try it myself.

I am back from Iceland on 13th May, and all going well I will go down to the spca and pick up Herbies new friend the next day. I am off work on the Thursday before so was thinking of going down to meet said bunny to check she doesnt hate me, and then hopefully they will reserve her for me. I will also ask if I can take Herbie with me on the day that I am picking her up and see if I can have them meet for a wee while before I leave with her.

I have ordered a puppy pen this morning. Plan is to set that up in a different room to the one Herbie is in just now. Put the two buns in the pen for a couple of days in neutral room. Clean & bleach out Herbie (& Inca's :() room & stuff.....move the puppy pen into Herbies (& new buns) room after a couple of days, but still keep them in the pen, and then gradually increase the space.....does that sound OK to the bonding experts out there, or should I do anything different?

Thing would be that I have to go back to work two days after, so would it be ok to leave them alone do you think....or is that just a wait and see / judge later type thing?

Definitely this.. my first bond took five days before I felt comfortable leaving them alone, then they all fell out and I ended up having to separate one from the group. Then again, my second bond was a total breeze and they loved eachother instantly, I don't remember a single scuffle :lol: So I guess you never know.

Your plan sounds good though, that's how I'd do it :)

Might even have changed plan now....mum was going to bunny sit Herbie when I was in Iceland, and I wasn't getting new bun cos she wasn't wanna watch the two of them....but now she has said that she doesnt mind. I am off work for 4 days 3rd til 6th May, so could go for then.....NERVOUS!!!!!!!!

By then I would be able to help if you feel you need a second opinion or if your mum is worried. ;)

Can't wait to see Herbie with his new friend. :thumb:

By then I would be able to help if you feel you need a second opinion or if your mum is worried. ;)

Can't wait to see Herbie with his new friend. :thumb:

That would be fab :) Was gonna send them to Collielover but I just feel that Hebie would maybe be calmer if he stayed at home, I was feeling like he would think I was sending him away :(

Could also give mum your number in case she panics. Thanks Ali, you are a true gem offering help when you are not even 100% healed yourself.

Oh, I have a question....what about quarantine & panacur? She has been spayed & vaccinated but not panacured, do you think I should do that before I bond her?!
Herbie has not been panacured for three years.

Last edited:
Oh, I have a question....what about quarantine & panacur? She has been spayed & vaccinated but not panacured, do you think I should do that before I bond her?!
Herbie has not been panacured for three years.

Help Anyone?

I just saw this, sorry! I would do a 28 day course for any new arrivals and would prefer a fortnight of quarantine before bonding, just in case the stress of the move lowers defences and causes illness.

I just saw this, sorry! I would do a 28 day course for any new arrivals and would prefer a fortnight of quarantine before bonding, just in case the stress of the move lowers defences and causes illness.

mmm....that wouldn't fit in with my plan then........argh!

True, it is only what I do, you can make up your own plans though. :wave:

Oh, I know that :) My mind is all over the place with options! I think I will just wait and see what she is like when I meet her on Friday and Judge what I wanna do from there......Ideally I wanna meet her then leave her there til the following week, but then as they canny reserve her I am forseeing meeting her and then taking her away with me that day, heart ruling head scenario!

My hall way is free if you wanted a place for them and of course they'd get vet attention if required.

Honey and Jack were an awful bond but we managed it (somehow). The SSPCA are a bit iffy with reservations and taking buns in to meet others but there may be a reason for that.

My hall way is free if you wanted a place for them and of course they'd get vet attention if required.

Honey and Jack were an awful bond but we managed it (somehow). The SSPCA are a bit iffy with reservations and taking buns in to meet others but there may be a reason for that.

I do have space that they can have a new area for bonding, it's just the how to go about it. Aye, I am gonna go friday and see what I can talk them into letting me do :)

Back