• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For those of you with 'an extra special bond' with your bun(s)

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Those of you who I am talking about will know what I mean, those who feel a very deep connecion, a love so strong it takes your breath away and you know you woulddo anything for them.
Do you ever worry they dont know how much you love them?

Those of you who I am talking about will know what I mean, those who feel a very deep connecion, a love so strong it takes your breath away and you know you woulddo anything for them.
Do you ever worry they dont know how much you love them?

I know what you mean, I had that with Honey :cry: I told her I loved her about 20 times a day, I think she knew :love: I think she loved me back as she used to give me lots of bunny kisses on my nose :love: but I did worry so much when I'd left her at the vets, that she might feel that I didn't love her any more :cry: I wish I could've been with her x

I know what you mean, I had that with Honey :cry: I told her I loved her about 20 times a day, I think she knew :love: I think she loved me back as she used to give me lots of bunny kisses on my nose :love: but I did worry so much when I'd left her at the vets, that she might feel that I didn't love her any more :cry: I wish I could've been with her x

:cry: aww hun, I am sure she knew! (hugs)
I have this with Jims and it scares me :cry: I tell him I love him every chance I get, I think he knows as when we snuggle and I give him kisses he grindes after each one! :love:

I know in my heart that my Kermit and my Inca (I had them both at separate times) both knew how much I loved them, they were both sick bunnies and they needed extra special care from me and they would just let me do anything to them.

The only things that go through my mind is:

- When Kermit passed I was not with him, OH was there but I was away for the weekend....does he think I left him
- When Inca passed it was me that got her PTS cos she was so ill, I held her in my arms as she had it done....does she understand why?

I know in my heart that my Kermit and my Inca (I had them both at separate times) both knew how much I loved them, they were both sick bunnies and they needed extra special care from me and they would just let me do anything to them.

The only things that go through my mind is:

- When Kermit passed I was not with him, OH was there but I was away for the weekend....does he think I left him
- When Inca passed it was me that got her PTS cos she was so ill, I held her in my arms as she had it done....does she understand why?

:cry: thats so sad! but I know I would think the same thing!
I am sure they both knew although I know its hard to believe it.

It never occurred to me to be honest. Roger constantly looked for me as I did him. When I got home from work he would be who I rushed to first, and his little face and eyes would light up, as I scoped him up and then often rushed to the loo :shock: At night when I went to brush my teeth, he would wait outside the bathroom to be taken to his night bed in my room, or if he was poorly, he would sleep on my bed. When he needed to pee he would fidget, and I would put him in the litter tray, wait for him and then put him back to bed. He was always comforted by things that smelt of me, and whenever he was his poorliest, he would always settle and sleep well on my pillow. At meal times Roger would sit up with me, and I would cut my food up beforehand, so that I could eat with one hand and hold him with the other, and he always liked trying bits of my dinner as well. In the evening he loved 'knobbly bobbly' ice lollies, and we would share one, each having our own side, but Roger often ate mine as well. When I kissed him and fussed him, for every kiss I gave him, he would give me several back. Roger was a severely disabled bunny, paralysed down his right side. He had over the 7yrs I had him, various ways he liked to sleep on me, the last being stretched out on my arm that was resting on the arm rest of the settee, and he liked it even better when I would then feed him strawberries as he lay there. On the night I lost Roger (Sept 13th last year, at 2102hrs) which was a Thursday, he had an appointment at 1600hrs, and the clinic closed at 1900hrs, but Roger didn't leave until much later. My vet was amazing and gave me loads of time to spend with Roger, in his office, and one of the nurses made me cups of tea, and everyone was really kind and looked after us. Everyone knew how hard this would be for me, even though the last 3 yrs. had been spent taking every day a day at a time, and just treasuring what time I had with Roger. I can never thank my vet enough, he worked tirelessly for Roger, and even came in when he was on holiday, if Roger needed seeing. Simon was very attached to Roger, and god only knows how on 3 previous occasions he managed to save Roger when I know others wouldn't have been able too, and the odds were always so heavily stacked against Roger. He was finally beat by a brain tumour, but he left, warm and cuddled in my arms, with just Simon present which was how I had always wanted it, and when the injection was halfway administered, amazingly, somehow Roger found the strength to lift his little head and give me his final bunny kisses, which I knew meant 'Thank you for letting me go, I love you so much and Goodbye', and then his head went back and he was gone, and my heart shattered and will never be whole again. I ordered a big box of hand made chocolates to be delivered to the surgery for everyone, because I know Simon is a chocolate monster just like Roger was, and I just felt I really wanted to do something to thank everyone especially Simon and his wife Kim, who he runs the practise with, for all the kindness, care and support they gave me over the years.

This year on the first anniversary, it is going to be a very hard time for me, as the days still are, and the world just seems very bleak without Roger in it. I'm going to have another box of chocolates delivered to my vets, with a note asking them to all eat chocolate on Roger's anniversary, and if they would spare him a thought, but I know Simon still thinks about Roger and he often still mentions funny things that he used to do, and it means a lot to me that he really knew him so well, and remembers him. I'm planning a 'chocolate party' in Roger's memory, as I am going to need people about me on that night, and a candle will be lit for my 'special little man', and I'm sure many tears will flow, because Roger touched so many people's hearts.

His property is still as it was and unwashed, and I still have some of his fur and his grubby sock, under my pillow when I sleep at night. I don't have my partners photo next to my bed, I have Roger's face in a heart-filled frame, and I have nearly saved enough for a gold rabbit pendant, that will contain some of his ashes, and then he really will always be close to me. His ashes are in the cabinet next to my bed, but I rarely open the drawer, because just the sight of them makes me break down. I know Roger visits, and I still talk to him daily. Sometimes, I suddenly get a sense of overwhelming happiness which is pretty rare for me these days without Roger, and often at the time I have been busy and not even actively thinking about him, but for the happiness I feel, I instantly know Roger is here, and I sit down and start chatting away to him, and I feel better for a little while. On one occasion I was brushing my teeth, and the door was open, and a movement caught my eye, and I turned and looked and swear to god, can even see it in my head now, a white rabbit ran across the doorway, which was strange, because as you can see from my signature, Dipsy is black, and Pippa is brown and white, but it was bigger than Pippa, and a real fluff ball and Persil white bunny, so can only actually have been Roger :love: :love: :love:.

On a final note, as the tears are flowing now, yes, they do most definitely know. This what a friend emailed me, and it is really true and has happened.

You did good Julie. You wait, soon, on a quiet day or when you least expect it, or when you think of him in passing whilst you Hoover, don't be surprised if you catch a glimpse of him hoping around a corner or hiding by his pillow. Roger will stop by to let you know he is fine and to check on you. Bonds like the one you have with Roger transend the physical barriers of death. Don't search him out, he will stay in the corner of your view, and you will know he is there. You'll see.

Last edited:
Estelle and I have a very special and understanding bond. She is a very 'deep' rabbit and does has many issues, but over the past four years we have slowly and steadily come to understand and love each other more and more. xxxx

No, Lola knew, I couldn't have loved her anymore, she was my world. She knew that and she knew I was her mummy. :love::love:

I hope Misty knew how much I loved her and how much I wish I was there in her final moments, and that I would've done anything to save her. There will always be that "first bunny" bond there that no other rabbit will ever have with me. I never realised how lucky I was to have a rabbit that would be fine with being picked up and handled, stayed very still bum on knee while I gave her any meds she needed. I don't even think I realised how much I loved her until she wasn't there to love.

Although Lola was mistreated, she settled in here so well, like she knew she'd be looked after here. I've had my first proper experiences with bunny licks, something Misty only did twice. Proper cuddles, where she'll sit on my knee "purring" at me while im stroking her.

But although this thread is for rabbits, I'll never have a bond with any animal like I have with my dog. I love her so much, I'd give anything to have her with me forever in good health. When she dies I'll have her cremated, and when I die I want that dogs ashes with mine. She's my soul-animal :love::love:

Stephen is my boy. I sometimes feel a bit guilty as I know Stephen is my soul bunny, and he loves me as I love him, and I don't have as much affection for Ellie as I do Stephen.

I'm mean. I know I am, but Stephen is my special boy and I adore him. He snuggles and licks me, he hops onto my lap and circles me and binkies when I go into their room. I talk to him and cuddle him much more than Ellie, mostly because she hates cuddles!

It never occurred to me to be honest. Roger constantly looked for me as I did him. When I got home from work he would be who I rushed to first, and his little face and eyes would light up, as I scoped him up and then often rushed to the loo :shock: At night when I went to brush my teeth, he would wait outside the bathroom to be taken to his night bed in my room, or if he was poorly, he would sleep on my bed. When he needed to pee he would fidget, and I would put him in the litter tray, wait for him and then put him back to bed. He was always comforted by things that smelt of me, and whenever he was his poorliest, he would always settle and sleep well on my pillow. At meal times Roger would sit up with me, and I would cut my food up beforehand, so that I could eat with one hand and hold him with the other, and he always liked trying bits of my dinner as well. In the evening he loved 'knobbly bobbly' ice lollies, and we would share one, each having our own side, but Roger often ate mine as well. When I kissed him and fussed him, for every kiss I gave him, he would give me several back. Roger was a severely disablded bunny, paralysed down his right side. He had over the 7yrs I had him, various ways he liked to sleep on me, the last being stretched out on my arm that was resting on the arm rest of the settee, and he liked it even better when I would then feed him strawberries as he lay there. On the night I lost Roger (Sept 13th last year, at 2102hrs) which was a Thursday, he had an appointment at 1600hrs, and the clinic closed at 1900hrs, but Roger didn't leave until much later. My vet was amazing and gave me loads of time to spend with Roger, in his office, and one of the nurses made me cups of tea, and everyone was really kind and looked after us. Everyone knew how hard this would be for me, even though the last 3 yrs. had been spent taking every day a day at a time, and just treasuring what time I had with Roger. I can never thank my vet enough, he worked tirelessly for Roger, and even came in when he was on holiday, if Roger needed seeing. Simon was very attached to Roger, and god only knows how on 3 previous occasions he managed to save Roger when I know others wouldn't have been able too, and the odds were always so heavily stacked against Roger. He was finally beat by a brain tumour, but he left, warm and cuddled in my arms, with just Simon present which was how I had always wanted it, and when the injection was halfway administered, amazingly, somehow Roger found the strength to lift his little head and give me his final bunny kisses, which I knew meant 'Thank you for letting me go, I love you so much and Goodbye', and then his head went back and he was gone, and my heart shattered and will never be whole again. I ordered a big box of hand made chocolates to be delivered to the surgery for everyone, because I know Simon is a chocolate monster just like Roger was, and I just felt I really wanted to do something to thank everyone especially Simon and his wife Kim, who he runs the practise with, for all the kindness, care and support they gave me over the years.

This year on the first anniversary, it is going to be a very hard time for me, as the days still are, and the world just seems very bleak without Roger in it. I'm going to have another box of chocolates delivered to my vets, with a note asking them to all eat chocolate on Roger's anniversary, and if they would spare him a thought, but I know Simon still thinks about Roger and he often still mentions funny things that he used to do, and it means a lot to me that he really knew him so well, and remembers him. I'm planning a 'chocolate party' in Roger's memory, as I am going to need people about me on that night, and a candle will be lit for my 'special little man', and I'm sure many tears will flow, because Roger touched so many people's hearts.

His property is still as it was and unwashed, and I still have some of his fur and his grubby sock, under my pillow when I sleep at night. I don't have my partners photo next to my bed, I have Roger's face in a heart-filled frame, and I have nearly saved enough for a gold rabbit pendant, that will contain some of his ashes, and then he really will always be close to me. His ashes are in the cabinet next to my bed, but I rarely open the drawer, because just the sight of them makes me break down. I know Roger visits, and I still talk to him daily. Sometimes, I suddenly get a sense of overwhelming happiness which is pretty rare for me these days without Roger, and often at the time I have been busy and not even actively thinking about him, but for the happiness I feel, I instantly know Roger is here, and I sit down and start chatting away to him, and I feel better for a little while. On one occasion I was brushing my teeth, and the door was open, and a movement caught my eye, and I turned and looked and swear to god, can even see it in my head now, a white rabbit ran across the doorway, which was strange, because as you can see from my signature, Dipsy is black, and Pippa is brown and white, but it was bigger than Pippa, and a real fluff ball and Persil white bunny, so can only actually have been Roger :love: :love: :love:.

On a final note, as the tears are flowing now, yes, they do most definitely know. This what a friend emailed me, and it is really true and has happened.

You did good Julie. You wait, soon, on a quiet day or when you least expect it, or when you think of him in passing whilst you Hoover, don't be surprised if you catch a glimpse of him hoping around a corner or hiding by his pillow. Roger will stop by to let you know he is fine and to check on you. Bonds like the one you have with Roger transend the physical barriers of death. Don't search him out, he will stay in the corner of your view, and you will know he is there. You'll see.

Holy poo! :cry: that is the most wonderful and sad story!
Its so nice that you have such great memories and that he knew how loved he was and still is! :love:

Jims gives me 'the look' too :love:

Last edited:
I genuinely don't think my buns have a foggiest about what goes on!

They aren't the brightest bunnies and the only purpose I have is food bringer. They show no interest in humans other than to beg for food!

I don't find it sad. I have always treated my bunnies as rabbits not children and I enjoy their company whilst they don't mine!

I would like to have a snuggle bun but none of mine like cuddles at all!

This.

I do have a few who don't mind being cuddled but in the end, I'm afraid I see bunnies as bunnies... I keep them with their own kind because they would prefer it that way. I believe far too much emotion is transferred onto pets - apart from dogs who were domesticated to be human companions. I care about my rabbits and there have been some with whom I connected better than others but I don't believe they care one jot about me, just the food I bring and the lifestyle I provide. And I am happy about things being this way. To lose a dog is the single most painful thing I have experienced apart from a human. If I felt like that about the rabbits then I would not have them or so many. this does not mean that I don't fight for them when they are ill or don't cry when they pass away, however, I have them knowing I am giving them the best life possible. It's all for them. what I get out of it is knowing that one animal had a better life than it started with. I love my OH wholly and completely. He is my soul mate. My dogs love me, I love them as much as you can love anything that is that loyal without being an emotional and intellectual equal to a human. I care about the rabbits - some more than others because of the way they behaved around me or the progress we made in our lives together, but as long as they can be rabbits together, I don't believe we feel anything much stronger than an understanding of their needs and my desire to fulfill them.

This.

I do have a few who don't mind being cuddled but in the end, I'm afraid I see bunnies as bunnies... I keep them with their own kind because they would prefer it that way. I believe far too much emotion is transferred onto pets - apart from dogs who were domesticated to be human companions. I care about my rabbits and there have been some with whom I connected better than others but I don't believe they care one jot about me, just the food I bring and the lifestyle I provide. And I am happy about things being this way. To lose a dog is the single most painful thing I have experienced apart from a human. If I felt like that about the rabbits then I would not have them or so many. this does not mean that I don't fight for them when they are ill or don't cry when they pass away, however, I have them knowing I am giving them the best life possible. It's all for them. what I get out of it is knowing that one animal had a better life than it started with. I love my OH wholly and completely. He is my soul mate. My dogs love me, I love them as much as you can love anything that is that loyal without being an emotional and intellectual equal to a human. I care about the rabbits - some more than others because of the way they behaved around me or the progress we made in our lives together, but as long as they can be rabbits together, I don't believe we feel anything much stronger than an understanding of their needs and my desire to fulfill them.

So you don't love your buns?
I think that's a really logical way of looking at it, I'm interested.
For me though, I get so so attached, I love Moo so much.. I don't know whether rabbits can love you back.. but I like to think they can.. Moo follows me everywhere, jumps on the bed while I'm in it and grooms himself on me and he licks my feet or ankles while I'm walking about without shoes on :lol:
I love animals and I love all my pets.. probably too much, as I end up heartbroken when they leave me :( but I couldn't have a pet without loving it.

This.

That's crazy :shock: as abi just said, I love alkaline my pets. I know I'll be much more devastated when anything happens to my dog, but I was truly heartbroken when Misty died. I cried the whole night and following day. I have a big photo if her on my wall, and on my drawers too. The worst part is that was my first experience and it honestly crippled me, knowing I've got heartache like that coming again is horrible. As much as it hurts though, I don't think id want to be emotionally detached from my pets :|

Back