• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Using bunny poop as fertiliser

Thumper98

Warren Scout
I think this might have been discussed before but I am going to try again:

Does anyone know if rabbit poop can be used directly in the soil as a fertiliser? I know chicken, cow, horse manure needs to first be broken down and then mixed with soil as they are considered very "hot" so that it wouldnt "burn" roots, but ive heard rabbit poop isnt quite as "hot".
I have been composting my bunnies' poop in the compost bin but thought why not just add it to the soil as I am planning to dig a new plot for my asparagus and courgettes soon.

Any experienced gardeners out there? :wave:

Leo and Lilou are also excited to be able to contribute to the veggies in the garden! Poop for food! :lol:

Yes you can use it direct, if you use the HAY direct though there is likely to be weed seeds in it which means you may have to do more weeding.

Great thanks! :wave:

Im just going to add the poop to the soil and compost the left over hay in the bin. Hopefully the heat in the bin will kill the weed seeds but let's see!

Oh good idea! How much poop to water though? (sounds gross i know but important!) And how often?

dunno, I just sort of eye it :lol: I'm not much of a gardener either so just do it when I remember :oops: I use a 2l coke bottle and fill maybe 2 inches at the bottom with poo

dunno, I just sort of eye it :lol: I'm not much of a gardener either so just do it when I remember :oops: I use a 2l coke bottle and fill maybe 2 inches at the bottom with poo

Thanks for the ratio info GP, we have been debating how to do this to feed the grass so it's still bunny safe.

Back