• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hibernating caterpillar??!

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
I did not know that caterpillars hibernated but I found this attached to the old hutch cover today whilst having a bit of a clear out in the garden. It looked like a spider web when they wrap themselves up but it looked to be made from hair?! There is a fuzzy furry caterpillar curled up inside!

037F1E0A-DA71-415B-B452-329267101FB0-8780-0000078CD82F7A39_zpsfb863446.jpg

I think insects lay eggs either in the soil or somewhere warm and then wait till Spring for the little ones to hatch... im already starting to see flies, bumblebees and urgh... spiders about!

A chrysalis is a brown shiny shell and will hatch into a moth. A cocoon will be a butterfly but I didn't think this looked like a cocoon? And the caterpillar was just curled up inside, maybe it hasn't finished its cocoon! I will do some research :lol:

Feel like a right idiot now :oops: hibernating caterpillar :lol: I've put it in the hutch so it'll stay dry so il try and catch the hatch :D Iv only ever seen chrysalis' before. I might be wrong on the moth/butterfly thing too :oops:

Back