• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox Problem

Batfink1

Young Bun
I currently have a family of foxes camped out underneath my Studio at the bottom of the garden.

The Fox Project (Fox-A-Gon) are here ... the solution is to dig a trench and bury wire mesh all round the studio with a one way door fixed with a surveillance camera to see when the foxes leave the den. Once out the door will be meshed up.

They have looked over my rabbit enclosure and given tips on how to keep them secure and are also leaving me 16 gauge wire mesh. They wouldn't recommend anything less than 16 gauge.

They are also surprised the rabbits are still there!!! .........great! My saving grace is that the neighbours feed them and they don't have the need to hunt but it could only be a matter of time.

I have restricted them to the playhouse only and covered with tarp until I can barricade them in with the tough mesh.

This is costing hundreds .... but it needs to be done as the dog is also at risk as the garden is currently full of food and chicken bones!

Last week I had to pay out over a grand to fit an alarm as the next-door neighbours were burgled and CID put the wind up me by saying my property was being watched and we could be next.

Shall I just put a 10ft high electric fence round my entire property and garden and be done with it!!!

NOT HAPPY!:evil:

A tip he gave me when fixing the mesh:

Cut the mesh so that a piece of wire protrudes out then bend it into a loop and use that as a bracket to screw into the wood. ... Great idea hey!

I am beginning to wonder of I should even keep rabbits in the garden at all now ... there is no way I can move them in as I already have one house bunny and a dog, space in the house is limited!

Hopefully these extra security measure will keep them safe!

A tip he gave me when fixing the mesh:

Cut the mesh so that a piece of wire protrudes out then bend it into a loop and use that as a bracket to screw into the wood. ... Great idea hey!

I am beginning to wonder of I should even keep rabbits in the garden at all now ... there is no way I can move them in as I already have one house bunny and a dog, space in the house is limited!

Hopefully these extra security measure will keep them safe!

I am setting up an aivery style run atm and would really like it to be as safe as possible. I cant quite picture what you mean about the loop... Also is 16 guage stronger than 19? Thanks :wave:

Hi, I dont really have real experience with foxes but could you try asking your neighbours not to feed them? I know it sounds logical ie. fed foxes = no need to really hunt = bunnies not really on the menu at the moment. But as someone has said, that also means that they know where food is secure and will always stay there, and your buns will never be really safe...

I'd be freaked out everyday and on my toes if i were you - would never feel really safe!

Hope you get it sorted anyhow:wave:

They do say male urine all around the perimeter of the house/garden works as well. I know people who have done this (she got all the men out of the pub one night:lol:) and it worked. It might be worth a try?

Unfortunately the lady feeding the foxes had a stroke a while back ... since the stroke she isn't quite right, there is no telling her what to do. I have witnessed her arguing with her Husband, she doesn't hold back!

I will find out about the gauge ... I bought 19 gauge off ebay and it was rubbish nothing like what these guys are using!

I have two males in the house and there aim is so poor I would much rather they pee outside than all around my toilet !!!!:lol:

Good luck! We have foxes in our garden - not living there, but we get them at night and I've seen them in broad daylight - and we have chickens as well as rabbits. There are so many foxes about, I really think the only solution is to be 100% confident that your set-up is as secure as it's possible to make it. Hills of Devon do good value galvanised mesh in big rolls and it seems very sturdy. When we built our chicken run, we used a giant staple gun from Screwfix to attach the mesh to the wood and it was very easy and secure. The fact it was so easy (no nailing or screwing) meant we were able to put a staple on virtually every link. All our rabbit runs have galvanised mesh floors attached with J-clips and buried under a layer of soil or turf (again, surprisingly easy to do). I hope you get things sorted.

I am setting up an aivery style run atm and would really like it to be as safe as possible. I cant quite picture what you mean about the loop... Also is 16 guage stronger than 19? Thanks :wave:

Hi, Just checked for you .... yes 16 gauge is stronger than 19. I was told that Foxes can easily chew through 19 gauge. :(

Good luck! We have foxes in our garden - not living there, but we get them at night and I've seen them in broad daylight - and we have chickens as well as rabbits. There are so many foxes about, I really think the only solution is to be 100% confident that your set-up is as secure as it's possible to make it. Hills of Devon do good value galvanised mesh in big rolls and it seems very sturdy. When we built our chicken run, we used a giant staple gun from Screwfix to attach the mesh to the wood and it was very easy and secure. The fact it was so easy (no nailing or screwing) meant we were able to put a staple on virtually every link. All our rabbit runs have galvanised mesh floors attached with J-clips and buried under a layer of soil or turf (again, surprisingly easy to do). I hope you get things sorted.

Thanks ... they have kindly left me loads of this 16 gauge mesh which is super strong, will go out tomorrow and fix it. They have thrown it in free seeing as this whole episode is going to cost me £600 !!!!!

Ohhhh nooo ... but foxes have babies at this time of the year so there could be baby foxes inside the den. :cry:

(Sorry I know for a fact that my friend's semi-tame fox gave birth on the 14th April, so please do be sure you wouldn't be killing any babies by shutting their parents out!)

Ohhhh nooo ... but foxes have babies at this time of the year so there could be baby foxes inside the den. :cry:

(Sorry I know for a fact that my friend's semi-tame fox gave birth on the 14th April, so please do be sure you wouldn't be killing any babies by shutting their parents out!)

Yes there is 5 babies ... I have video footage of them playing in my garden at 4pm ... they were so very cute. Been great for my son who's topic at school is nature. It is like we have out own nature reserve!

Definitely no harm will come to the babies ... we currently have video surveillance on the entrance to the den so that the Fox experts can learn there comings and goings ... once they know for sure the Mum has moved the babies to another den the entrance will be sealed. These guys are using cameras lights and all sorts ... they love foxes !!!

Yes there is 5 babies ... I have video footage of them playing in my garden at 4pm ... they were so very cute. Been great for my son who's topic at school is nature. It is like we have out own nature reserve!

We had the exact same problem under our log cabin.

We waited until the babies had grown to maturity. Once they had, they couldn't all stay on the same territory anyway, and left the den of their own accord (which is free).

No animals hurt that way and no money spent. Dad filled in the hole and they couldn't get in again Is there no way you could bring the bunnies in until the foxes leave?

I know I'm being soft and your pet bunnies come first, but you're essentially going to kill the baby foxes if they're not strong enough to survive without mum and dad.

We cross posted, so relieved to see the babies will be ok! PHEW! :love: (PS Yes, I am soft!)

Back