• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Syphilis - Is there a cure?

Hello everyone,
I'm relatively new to this site, but have kept rabbits for many years now. I've recently adopted a rabbit with syphilis that was told he'd never be cured and have to live by himself forever! He's the most beautiful, loving rabbit and it makes me so sad to think he'll be by himself! There must be a cure for him! I've scoured the internet and spoke to many vets and have him booked in on Friday. They have suggested administering Depocillin Procain Benzylpenicillin and I was wondering if anyone knows how safe this is for my rabbit, and if it can cure him.
Thank you :)

Sorry to hear your rabbit has Syphilis. A course of Penicillin injections is needed and should cure your bunny. Don't delay as I think it can spread to other parts of his body.

Will he be able to live with other rabbits?

If he neutered he wont have the urge to procreate and hence, wont spread it? Or am i totally wrong.

The course of penicillin injections should clear up any symptoms he currently has. I think it's usually three spaced a week apart.

There is a small risk of it reoccuring later so technically it's possible it's just hidden and he could infect a partner. But if you are neutering and not going to mix the pair with any other rabbits then personally I would risk it and if it did flare up in future just treat both as a precaution.

I wouldn't do the introductions until after he'd been treated and appeared free of symptoms as that's when he's be most likely to pass it on.

It's quite possible for a bunny to have it (eg get it from their mother) and not show symptoms for months so there is always a small risk when you bond bunnies anyway, the girl bond you introduce could just as easily be secretly harbouring it.

Back